Upgrade 20D firmware from V1.0.2

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 29, 2005 7:55:29 AM

I see Canon is up to 1.1.
I've not experienced problems so I don't have a compelling reason to
upgrade. Can someone give me one?

Jim
set MyEmail=jim.n.pam@ix.netcom.com
set MyEmail=%MyEmail:.n.=n%

More about : upgrade 20d firmware

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:55:30 AM

In article <Xns9627D4DAC87Djimnpamixnetcomcom@207.217.125.201>,
Jim Robinson <jim.n.pam@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I see Canon is up to 1.1.

When I bought my kit last November, the camera came with 1.0.5. I immediately
upgraded to the current version (1.1.0) and did the same to all the bundled
software. I simply prefer to be up-to-date with such things.

> I've not experienced problems so I don't have a compelling reason to
> upgrade. Can someone give me one?

Compelling? No.

In your case, the only situation that I can think of that would require you to
upgrade would be if seeking official, technical support. It's a good bet
that, before helping you with ANYTHING, they would insist that you upgrade to
the current version.

If it works, don't fix it!

:)
JR
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:55:00 PM

Jim Robinson wrote:

> Can someone give me [a reason to update firmware]?

For similar reasons that one buys smoke detectors for a house that
hasn't burned to the ground yet.
March 30, 2005 9:27:21 AM

Jim Redelfs <jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote in

<snip>
> If it works, don't fix it!
>
> :)
> JR

My general feelings too. And having recently encountered a power failure
during a BIOS update on a PC, I am a bit gunshy.

Thanks,
Jim
--
set MyEmail=jim.n.pam@ix.netcom.com
set MyEmail=%MyEmail:.n.=n%
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:37:47 AM

"eawckyegcy@yahoo.com" <eawckyegcy@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Jim Robinson wrote:
>
>> Can someone give me [a reason to update firmware]?
>
> For similar reasons that one buys smoke detectors for a house that
> hasn't burned to the ground yet.

I have searched for the fixes from 1.0.2->the ill fated 1.0.4 but have
failed to find them. 1.0.4->1.0.5 merely fixed the issues brought on by
1.0.4. The fixes from 1.0.5->1.1.0 I can find and they do not compel me
to upgrade. Do you know where to locate that list of fixes to 1.0.2? I
may yet change my mind.
Thanks,
Jim
--
set MyEmail=jim.n.pam@ix.netcom.com
set MyEmail=%MyEmail:.n.=n%
March 30, 2005 9:50:29 AM

Jim Robinson wrote:
> "eawckyegcy@yahoo.com" <eawckyegcy@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Jim Robinson wrote:
>>

>>>Can someone give me [a reason to update firmware]?
>>
>>For similar reasons that one buys smoke detectors for a house that
>>hasn't burned to the ground yet.
>>

> I have searched for the fixes from 1.0.2->the ill fated 1.0.4 but have
> failed to find them. 1.0.4->1.0.5 merely fixed the issues brought on by
> 1.0.4. The fixes from 1.0.5->1.1.0 I can find and they do not compel me
> to upgrade. Do you know where to locate that list of fixes to 1.0.2? I
> may yet change my mind.
> Thanks,
> Jim

I can't help you about what 1.04 fixes but updating the camera is very
safe, so long as (1) you charge up your battery beforehand and (2) do
not turn the power off until it's done. You copy the firmware from the
PC to a CF Card using a reader so power failture would have zero effect.
!