Your question

Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Tags:
  • Internet Connection
  • Devices
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
February 23, 2012 6:17:54 AM

Have posted this question in a variety of forms over the years and have never gotten a straight answer. Have configured a Windows 7 machine so that I can physically connect a device via USB connection to access the internet. In this post, the devices would be the Blackberry Curve 8330 and the original Google G1 phone. I have gotten a number of replies that say virtually nothing.

Internet connection sharing [ICS] has been configured as per the instructions on the microsoft support site. Physically connecting a mobile device has not demonstrated an internet connection and I write to inquire what additional steps can be taken.

Additionally, I would ask if there is some independent way to determine if, in fact, there is a path to the web for connected devices. Hoping for a truly responsive reply

More about : internet connection sharing issue

February 23, 2012 8:18:58 AM

Google "Internet connection sharing". Read articles on Microsoft's and Wikipedia's sites to understand what it is and how it is used. You will (hopefully) learn why it can't be used to allow other devices to connect to the net by connecting them to the Win7 host computer with a USB cord.

If anything, you would need a wireless access point to allow these other devices to use the net.
m
l
!