Sign in with
Your question

Whats better. GTX 660 ti 3gb FTW vs GTX 670 2gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:09:41 AM

670!
Barely anything uses more than 2GB, plus the 670 would be faster regardless.
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:19:38 AM

The reason the 670 is better is because of the memory interface it has 256 bit versus the 192 bit that the 660ti has. If you are dealing with resolutions under or at 1920x1080 you will be just fine with a 660ti. If you are running higher resolutions then this you may want to look into the 670.

Honestly, I wouldn't go with a EVGA card I know they have amazing customer service I just prefer these cards. There non reference design makes it so your cards are better taken care off cooling wise and power wise because the less heat=power saved also the msi cards I don't know about the Asus cards have this cool tech where when you start your machine the fans spin backwards to dust off dust on the fans fins its a pretty cool deal. Just my 2 cents I've had EVGA cards forever but having a card with a non reference cooler is the way to go man.

660Ti
MSI Twin Frozer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Asus Directcu II

Msi Twin Frozer
Asus Directcu II
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:24:13 AM

Nah, EVGA is the best... :p  Plus it's $30 cheaper!
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:27:11 AM

EVGA, it's $40 cheaper, plus you get much better customer service.
September 30, 2012 4:31:08 AM

amuffin said:
EVGA, it's $40 cheaper, plus you get much better customer service.

Thats what i like. i have a gtx 460 now and i rma'd it and 2 weeks later i got a brand new card.

So i should get this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only problem would be that im also getting a new case and fan which will lead to all together like 480 $$$ . I guess its fine if i Mail in rebate
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:43:07 AM

Yes it would be just fine with a single card 670. I typically prefer higher end PSU's but you would be fine with that yes. Also, ASUS has good tech support to with there cards as well. If I'm not mistaken they have it setup so they send you the new card and you mail the old one back. You may spend a little extra on the non reference cards but you will be happy in the end trust me.
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:45:47 AM

PicoriWarrior said:
Btw i have this psu. would it be fine for a 670 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I wouldn't have gotten that as a PSU for my system because i prefer a Single rail but YES. That Power supply will power you 670 and a slightly overclocked CPU
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:46:50 AM

Also, I don't know if will help you but if you have a newegg preferred account which you can apply for when you spend over 500 you get a year no interest so you can pay it off slowly. Just something I thought to throw out there which may help you.
September 30, 2012 5:00:22 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Also, I don't know if will help you but if you have a newegg preferred account which you can apply for when you spend over 500 you get a year no interest so you can pay it off slowly. Just something I thought to throw out there which may help you.

Problem is im quite young so im a little broke o.o But anyways. For the power supply i went to microcenter when i had no idea about gaming and they said that was good.
I will upgrade in the future. I may upgrade it with my mobo
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 5:03:06 AM

Oh for sure yea you get what you can get honestly. For PSU's may I suggest when you get to it Corsair or Seasonic. I know there may be others I just choose the 2 brands that are quite good in terms of reviews.

This is the PSU I have and I love it :) 

Also with motherboards this is the one I'd suggest but it is on the higher end cost wise.

September 30, 2012 5:04:40 AM

Rockdpm said:
I wouldn't have gotten that as a PSU for my system because i prefer a Single rail but YES. That Power supply will power you 670 and a slightly overclocked CPU

Yea i did not know it was bad. i probably wont over clock. But as you see my cpu is 3.1 so i may over clock that
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 5:05:38 AM

What CPU are you using now?
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 5:07:24 AM

Nvm I see it honestly I think its not that bad you have a i5 2400 you are golden honestly. Most games don't drive a ton of CPU power its mainly memory hard drive and graphics.

And yea power supply wise I'd suggest Corsair or Seasonic there may be others that are good those are just the 2 I would order from.
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 5:26:43 AM

Delta for PSU....
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 5:29:20 AM

Not familiar with them but judging by your systems you may be trolling :p  bc you use antec and corsair.
September 30, 2012 5:47:19 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Not familiar with them but judging by your systems you may be trolling :p  bc you use antec and corsair.

Well, since im only getting 1 670 i think ill be fine for now.
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 5:48:35 AM

Mhm you will be sir.
September 30, 2012 6:05:02 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Mhm you will be sir.

Im debating if i should get asus or evga though. That is the only problem
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 6:11:12 AM

EVGA has all reference design cards they have good support if you have high air flow in your case you could be okay I just like having a better cooler on my GPU and when your putting 400 into a video card I would prefer the better cooler. Watch this video it will help you out man I promise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5BRAuRRrI&feature=play...
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 6:32:46 AM

The short of it is this is that in the end run you pay more but you get a more stable card that will be more efficient and I feel that is important because the cost of powering your machine will go down because of it heat typically will result in your cost going up. The non reference design uses a blower which will push heat away from the heatsink which is over the gpu but the VRM doesn't get any cooling really on the reference design and will get pretty hot where as the non reference design the asus one does a good job of making sure there is good cooling all over the card so you don't end up with hot spots over the card its just a nit picky thing that I look for temp/noise/performance may not matter to you but just helping you out man.
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 2:15:36 PM

Evga does have a non reference design with dual fans.. The reason all their cards are most reference is because they are NVIDIA's tier 1 partner so they get everything first and in return design the reference cards at approval
September 30, 2012 3:17:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
The short of it is this is that in the end run you pay more but you get a more stable card that will be more efficient and I feel that is important because the cost of powering your machine will go down because of it heat typically will result in your cost going up. The non reference design uses a blower which will push heat away from the heatsink which is over the gpu but the VRM doesn't get any cooling really on the reference design and will get pretty hot where as the non reference design the asus one does a good job of making sure there is good cooling all over the card so you don't end up with hot spots over the card its just a nit picky thing that I look for temp/noise/performance may not matter to you but just helping you out man.

What about this? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 3:25:21 PM

That isn't bad either. Not a bad way to go its the same price as the reference cards and it has 1 more fan then the other non reference cards around.
September 30, 2012 3:32:30 PM

2gb 670. In BF3, my memory usage never exceeds 1.5gb (660Ti)
September 30, 2012 3:34:18 PM

bigshootr8 said:
That isn't bad either. Not a bad way to go its the same price as the reference cards and it has 1 more fan then the other non reference cards around.

Should i go to a local store (they have the one im looking at for 470$ and its on sale for 419$

the one on new egg is only 399, but incase theres anything wrong i want to be able to return it to a store
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 3:36:02 PM

Well if you are okay spending the extra 20 dollars then yea sure why not and maybe even bring a printout from newegg maybe that store price matches internet prices frys does shrugs.
September 30, 2012 3:44:36 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well if you are okay spending the extra 20 dollars then yea sure why not and maybe even bring a printout from newegg maybe that store price matches internet prices frys does shrugs.

Thats what i may try. And plus since im getting a new case and fan i need some money. i may stick to the internet.
September 30, 2012 4:01:59 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Also keep in mind to you may save some sometimes with going in the store for cases because they do cost a bit to ship sometimes. This is what I have I think with this you wouldn't need to buy any fans either.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/IMG_1991.jpg

I was thinking about getting this case - http://www.ebuyer.com/262675-cm-storm-enforcer-case-sgc...

With this fan - http://www.ebuyer.com/205467-coolermaster-megaflow-200m...
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:06:18 PM

ah okay so the fan to fit on the top yea that's not a bad case either coolermaster makes good cases.
September 30, 2012 4:10:19 PM

bigshootr8 said:
ah okay so the fan to fit on the top yea that's not a bad case either coolermaster makes good cases.

i think i may just order online since its cheaper online then in the store. Anyways for the gigabyte card. what happens if theres a problem, do they have good customer support. im still debating EVGA Or Gigabyte. evga has good support and gigabyte has good fans
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 4:14:28 PM

In the end its all about what you are after I checked evga's site I didn't see any multi fan non reference 670's there are 660ti dual ones but they are pretty close to the reference design. On the other hand if you keep your case really cool with a good amount of airflow I don't see an issue with a reference card. For me personally I wouldn't want to spend 400+ dollars on a card and not have a good cooler on it. I hope you find a card that suits your needs.
September 30, 2012 4:17:20 PM

bigshootr8 said:
In the end its all about what you are after I checked evga's site I didn't see any multi fan non reference 670's there are 660ti dual ones but they are pretty close to the reference design. On the other hand if you keep your case really cool with a good amount of airflow I don't see an issue with a reference card. For me personally I wouldn't want to spend 400+ dollars on a card and not have a good cooler on it. I hope you find a card that suits your needs.

Im going to get the gigabyte because it has higher clocks and better cooling. i had to rma my 460 once because it overheated. I will be ordering this card in 2 - 3 months.
September 30, 2012 4:36:54 PM

bigshootr8 said:

Another question and then im going to give best answer. i am getting a gtx 670. i have a i5 2400k 3.1 Ghz Processor. a 600 TR2 power supply. 6gb ddr3 ram. Will i have any bottle necking issues
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 8:07:10 PM

Um, I wouldn't think so. I mean are you using a standard mechanical hard drive because that will be a bottleneck unless you have a SSD. Your ram config has me a bit puzzled 3x2GB's I mean maybe the ram but I doubt it I have 8 gigs of ram now I see people around 8-16 gigs. But for sure the only thing I can think that stands out would be hard drive. Also bare in mind that if you are going to wait a few months you wise as well wait for the black friday sales so you can get a bitchen deal on something. Newegg has crazy ass sales, CRAZY sales!

My current setup

Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
MSI Nvidia Geforce 660Ti Powered Edition
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 11:30:44 PM

Fix up those cables....
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 11:47:36 PM

Ha I'll get to it at some point.
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 11:48:08 PM

amuffin said:
Fix up those cables....

He should just get a Full Tower. Mid towers arent all that great for cable management
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2012 11:56:55 PM

At some point I may. I don't have a deep enough pocket for what I'd like at the moment a cosmos 2 or something along those lines.
Honestly, I had purchased a case and then decided it wasn't for me the corsair 600T white and then put everything back in and because the sniper has non flat side panels you can hide more cables there. So I didn't bother cable tying I could of though. Either way talking about my build is getting away from what this guy is talking about. a 670 will be a awesome upgrade for him and in terms of bottlenecks I think he has a bit more of an idea of what would bottleneck his system as I stated if anything would bottleneck him it would be ram and or hard drive.
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:04:04 AM

Rockdpm said:
He should just get a Full Tower. Mid towers arent all that great for cable management

Not, the best... but it works.
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:06:54 AM

What Processor do you have Picoriwarrior?
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:07:16 AM

Yea but I'm not looking into getting a real water cooling system don't want to run into things like a possibility of leaks and parts wearing down over time.
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:08:15 AM

He's using a i5 2400k Rockdpm
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:09:00 AM

amuffin said:
Not, the best... but it works.
http://imageshack.us/a/img16/353/img36731.jpg

Baller? do u have a modular power supply? I don't thats why i got a full tower so the madusa hair can be nicely hit in all that space in the back
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:09:25 AM

bigshootr8 said:
He's using a i5 2400k Rockdpm

Wait what? you mean 2400? or 2500K? and yea i couldn't agree with you more about the water cooling comment
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:28:24 AM

if you look at his profile he has his configuration laid out maybe he made a typo as I don't see any k sku's with the 2400 there is a s sku but I think that is it either way. He won't have any issues with his CPU holding him back. Only thing that may are memory which he has 6 gigs and hard drive which he has a 1tb mechanical drive a small ssd boot drive would take care of that.
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 12:34:38 AM

bigshootr8 said:
if you look at his profile he has his configuration laid out maybe he made a typo as I don't see any k sku's with the 2400 there is a s sku but I think that is it either way. He won't have any issues with his CPU holding him back. Only thing that may are memory which he has 6 gigs and hard drive which he has a 1tb mechanical drive a small ssd boot drive would take care of that.

Mechanical drives arent a bottleneck unless you want the maps to load faster or your computer to turn on faster. SSD is least priority imo. 6gig's of ram though kinda weak sause when u can get a good kit for 35-40$ now gives you dual 4gb sticks to run 8gb in dual channel.
!