monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I put a computer together for my friend and he gets popping and crackling noises over the speakers.
it is:
1.4 athlon
ECS k7s5a
sb live 1024
cheap psu
win 98se

i know it is not the drivers. it is also not the speakers.

has anyone else had this problem with this soundcard? is there an easy remedy other than replacing the sb live?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I had that problem. What I did was exchange my SB Live 5.1 for a Santa Cruz and everything went away. The Live! pops and cracks all over the place!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Yeah, i thought that might be the case. I feel guilty cos i told him i would make him a nice pc, which it is otherwise. I need to replace it with something cheap as it is coming out of my pocket. The problem i had when building it was that he wanted to cut costs everywhere. I have got an old soundblaster 16 pci somewhere which will be good enough for his needs. Are there similar problems with this card.
BTW, i have a Sblive 5.1 in my system and it works perfectly. I even have installed playcentre without a hitch. (needed for centre speaker on my DTT2200 speakers)

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried running the card in your PC? Maybe the card is faulty?

Also, what version of Windows 98 are you running? did you install any service packs?

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i will try it in my pc. good idea man. i bought it of yahoo auctions which was a dumb thing to do. cant return it..
it is exactly the same version of windows as i am using, and mine doesnt do it.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
can you remember which driver version you were using before the crackling started? and where i could get it? i could try kazaa or windrivers.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
monkeyspank, it's a limitation with the SB Live itself. THe SoundBlaster Live is a PCI bus hog that constantly sends data across the PCI bus. THe problem with that is, with high CPU utilization or high PCI bus utilization, the SB Live will start to crack. The problem gets worse with the more PCI cards you add.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

THANK GOD I FOUND THIS POST!!!

Man!! i'm having the exact same problem as you!!
i have the ECS K7S5A board with SB Live! Value, and it's giving me popping and crackling sound as well! (I am using win2k)

Please tell me what I can do...
I just bought the Altec Lansing ATP3 & SB Live! Value 3 days ago, and I haven't' gotten a good night sleep since then!

G

AMD_Man, I have a PCI voodoo4, maybe that's conflicting with SB Live!? (they share the same IRQ, 11)

Just to let you guys know, my roommate is using the SB Live! Value as well, he has an Abit motherboard & Asus AGP Geforece2 vid card.

I exchanged my soundcard with his, and my system is still giving me the popping & crackling sound, and his system sounds perfect.

My other friend has a dell system with Rage 128 Pro sharing IRQ 9 with his SoundMax soundcard, and his system sounds fine too!

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Roasted Pea -- Looks like you and me have gotta get new soundcards mate.

thanks AMD man, i thought this was the case but didnt want to splash out on a new one unnecessarily.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
AMD_Man, I have a PCI voodoo4, maybe that's conflicting with SB Live!? (they share the same IRQ, 11)

Yes, that's a huge problem. Both the Voodoo4 adn the SB Live are PCI bandwidth hogs. THey're fighting for the limited bandwidth of the PCI bus, in simple terms. This can cause popping and cracking. It can also significantly slow down your Voodoo4 in games. I have a Voodoo4 PCI in my one of my PCs too but that PC has integrated sound so I don't have that problem.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
You must have the Soundcard in the 3rd PCI slot and it must have it's own IRQ. In Your BIOS, go to advanced Peripherals and select IRQ reserved for Display device. You may have to eliminate other PCI slot devices from your card so Windows resets the IRQ's. Also, if you are not using any of the serial or USB ports, disabling them will free up more IRQ's. Soundbalster Live's are very selfish and will not be happy if they have to share their IRQ's:) If you still get popping and crackles, let us know, but this has been found to fix 75% of the SB Live problems I have run into.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I used to be a fan of SBLive cards, they didn't have much competition in the price bracket when released. Got three running in systems at the moment.

That was until I bought an Aopen AK33 mobo and Duron 750(@825) cpu. I've tried everything including arsend's advice above, and a BIOS release from Aopen that purported to fix the problem. The cracking & popping won't go away.

Apparently VIA mobo's suffer more than others. It's a real pisser, especially when you are responsible for someone else's machine.

Fredi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi!

Play around with the BIOS settings for the PCI bus, stuff like PCI buffers, Concurrency, Latency etc. Disable/Enable one at a time to see if any of it changes anything.

Fredi
Tom's Hardware Guide

G

Hi guys,

To see if it was a PCI bandwidth problem, I took out my PCI voodoo4 and inserted my roommate's AGP card (Asus V7100 Geforce2 MX) Everything worked great! No more popping & crackling sound! I'm very happy now :D

I'm going to go get myself an AGP card tomorrow (AMD_Man, u should know the store, Canada Computers!), Hercules 4500 Prophet w/ Kyro II!!

Thanks everyone for the input!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get the Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 SuperQuad from <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com" target="_new">http://www.compgeeks.com</A>. Only $14 and it's one of the best soundcards of all time.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?