New graphics card with dual-monitor support for two analogue CRTs

Gattwick

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking for a new graphics card to which I can hook up two CRT monitors at the same time.

I currently own a Sapphire ATI HD4350 with 512MB DDR2-RAM, one VGA-port and one DVI-I port, which runs my dual-CRT setup just fine at resolutions of up to 2x(2048x1536) pixels.

But now I want more power for my games. And before cards with (VGA + DVI-I)-ports or (Dual-DVI-I)-ports die out, as they seem to be doing these days (I did not find a single suitable HD6xxx card with DVI-I output, only DVI-D ! So even if they do sport a VGA output, I can only hook up one CRT to them), I wanted to ask you which one to buy. Money is no concern.

So which are the last and most powerful cards sporting both a VGA and a DVI-I (not DVI-D) outlet ? Or a twin DVI-I outlet alternatively ?

As far as I have researched by now, from Ati only the HD5450 still has DVI-I ports, maybe some other HD5xxx series models too, but the better ones already disappeared from the market (HD5670, 5750, 5770, etc.)

From nvidia, the GeForce 550Ti seems to have (VGA + DVI-I) ports. Is that correct, and what do you think of this GPU ? The 650 models only have DVI-D ports ...

---------------------------------------------------

Alternative approach:

Should I just plug two graphics cards into my system ? This way I would only have to find cards with one VGA connector, and up to now there are plenty around, even of the latest models. I could buy one decent card for gaming (I only need a single monitor for gaming) and for office stuff I would buy a second, cheap card which would fire my second CRT to extend the screen real estate when needed.

---------------------------------------------------

PS: Once again, for those who cannot read properly:

A DVI-to-VGA adapter alone does not help me if the DVI-D port on the card only delivers the digital signal, as is the case with more and more graphics cards which only have DVI-D ports !

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

You need a DVI-I port for VGA-adapters to work, because only DVI-I ports provide the analogue signal, too !

But most recent cards only sport DVI-D ports, which only deliver the digital signal, since this way the manufacturers can save some 20 cents for the second RAMDAC and a few capacitors, as in the new HD6xxx series or the GeForce 600 series ...

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
please dont take offence to this but1. why the hell would anyone want crt's these days, they look terrible next to even the cheapest lcds. a cheap lcd will cost you around a hundred bucks then get your self what every gpu u want.p.s. word of warning if you do this though u wont wanna look at the other crt so u will need to buy a second lcd 2. you say money is no object then why u looking at useless gaming cards and havent got 2 lcd's already
:pt1cable:

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

That is a lie. I've seen a gajillion LCD/LED/Plasma screens, and not a single one of them comes close to my father's CRT monitor in terms of picture quality, colour vibrance, and lack of colour "flickering". And my dad's CRT has nothing on my Sony Triniton TV.

Have you actually ever used a GOOD CRT? They are freakin' awesome, man.

Also, you may want to actually answer a question if you aren't going to contribute an answer that has atleast something to do with the OP.

@OP

I can't seem to find any non DVI-D cards, though there is a 5850 with DVI-D dual link on Ebay, if that interests you. 'Tis the Sapphire one @ £90 + £10 shipping.

Gattwick

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks.

I guess the latest cards from Ati which sport either a [VGA + DVI-I] or a [DVI-I + DVI-I] set of connectors are the HD4xxx and 5xxx series. I will get a couple of good cards from those series just to be on the safe side. A HD 5750 e.g. should be sufficient for all office and 2D tasks of the next ten years or more to come.

For 3D gaming, I'm considering building a single-monitor machine, as current cards with a single analogue output (VGA or DVI-I) are still being produced.