Solved

New Dell u2711: can't select display higher then 1920x1080.

Hey guys i have an Asus HD6970 which i thought would allow me to play at that resolution but when i right click desktop and try to change the resolution it will only allow me to get to 1080 max. I do have a second monitor plugged into the other slot but i have tried unplugging it with no new results. The monitor also came with a dual link DVI cable which i have tried plugging into both slots on the back of my monitor and gpu. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell u2711 select display higher 1920x1080
  1. apamilo said:
    Hey guys i have an Asus HD6970 which i thought would allow me to play at that resolution but when i right click desktop and try to change the resolution it will only allow me to get to 1080 max. I do have a second monitor plugged into the other slot but i have tried unplugging it with no new results. The monitor also came with a dual link DVI cable which i have tried plugging into both slots on the back of my monitor and gpu. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

try the ccc control panel...under deplay option..show all setting this monitor can do.. it worded like that..right now your ccc showing only 1080 output but there more if you change the right settings.
  2. I am at CCC and I can't find any options like that.. I did find a certain area that allows me to change my desktop area resolution but once again it has a max resolution of 1920x1080.
  3. Best answer
    I couldn't find a manual, but there is a graphic on this page. There seams to be a switch or something to get a dual link dvi like you need it. I thing on factory default one dvi channel is shared with one of the display ports.
    http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6970_DCII2DI4S2GD5/#overview
  4. Best answer selected by apamilo.
  5. Maximum resolution is not dictated by the Graphics card. It is dicttated by the maximum resolution that is supported by you monitor. When windows initializes the diplay system, one of the things it does is query the Monitor to find out what display resolutions it supports. Then it automatically chooses the best resolution for that display (usually the Monitors native resolution). While the graphics card may support higher resolutions, if windows does not get information that the Monitor can display at those higher resolutions, windows does not list the higher resolutions as available because they are, in fact, not available.
  6. JKatwyopc said:
    Maximum resolution is not dictated by the Graphics card. It is dicttated by the maximum resolution that is supported by you monitor. When windows initializes the diplay system, one of the things it does is query the Monitor to find out what display resolutions it supports. Then it automatically chooses the best resolution for that display (usually the Monitors native resolution). While the graphics card may support higher resolutions, if windows does not get information that the Monitor can display at those higher resolutions, windows does not list the higher resolutions as available because they are, in fact, not available.

OP's dell supports 2560*1440, but single link dvi outputs/cables dont go that high...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Resolution Monitors Graphics