Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading 7600GT without mega change

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2012 3:39:13 PM

Hiya folks :) .

I am looking to upgrade my AGP graphics card (Nvidia 7600GT) which I bought many years ago, to something that is better and compatible with my system as it is. I don't want to change the motherboard and do a major overhaul of everything, I would just like to get a decent graphics card in order to play World of Warcraft at better graphics (ideally Ultra). I don't want to pay more than £70-ish. I have seen some cards like the 4670 etc, which are around £100. Is there something which will give me a huge increase in performance in the game, and be a little cheaper?

Currently, my spec is this:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR 333
GPU: AGP Nvidia Geforce 7600GT

What would you advise I go for? I built this PC myself quite a few years ago, and I haven't really upgraded it, except to add more memory (from 2 to 4).

Regards
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 6:35:22 PM

You know, you will not be able to play World of Warcraft on ultra with that PC. Your CPU is below your system requirements.

As for AGP cards - your options are really limited. HD 3850/HD 4670 would probably be the best cards you can get. However, AGP cards are very overpriced today, for the same price - PCIe cards are much more powerful. You'll also be lucky if you can actually find an AGP card.
September 30, 2012 7:14:08 PM

In addition to what Sunius said, the slow AGP interface will severely limit any semi-modern graphics card. I would recommend you
wait and save about 300£-ish, salvage what you can from your old pc (possibly case, power supply, HDD, optical storage, card readers, add-in cards, etc.) and upgrade.

With 300£, you could build quite a decent system with an i3 and a 7770, for example.
Related resources
September 30, 2012 7:47:36 PM

@Spell Or get a 965, and put forward the saved £40 to buy a 7850.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 7:51:58 PM

At this stage, a new system is what I'd recommend, but that's not what you're asking. AGP cards are almost extinct with the newer PCIe standard. Honestly, adding a new graphics card will be like putting it on life support. It'll last, but not that long.
October 2, 2012 9:22:53 AM

Hiya guys.

Thank you very much for your time and your replies :) .

My PC is quite fast you see, everything has run fast and smooth on it for years. I just want to improve the graphics on WoW (that seems to be the measuring stick lol).

If I did make/buy a new PC, what would be the minimum spec I would need to run WoW with most settings on Ultra? Thanks again for your time.

Regards
October 2, 2012 10:36:08 AM

By modern standards World of Warcraft is not that tough in the graphics department.

I imagine a mid range current generation GPU and CPU should be able to max out WoW with room to spare, however take that with a grain of salt as this is just my guesswork ;-)
!