Upgrading 7600GT without mega change

Hiya folks :).

I am looking to upgrade my AGP graphics card (Nvidia 7600GT) which I bought many years ago, to something that is better and compatible with my system as it is. I don't want to change the motherboard and do a major overhaul of everything, I would just like to get a decent graphics card in order to play World of Warcraft at better graphics (ideally Ultra). I don't want to pay more than £70-ish. I have seen some cards like the 4670 etc, which are around £100. Is there something which will give me a huge increase in performance in the game, and be a little cheaper?

Currently, my spec is this:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR 333
GPU: AGP Nvidia Geforce 7600GT

What would you advise I go for? I built this PC myself quite a few years ago, and I haven't really upgraded it, except to add more memory (from 2 to 4).

6 answers Last reply
More about upgrading 7600gt mega change
  1. You know, you will not be able to play World of Warcraft on ultra with that PC. Your CPU is below your system requirements.

As for AGP cards - your options are really limited. HD 3850/HD 4670 would probably be the best cards you can get. However, AGP cards are very overpriced today, for the same price - PCIe cards are much more powerful. You'll also be lucky if you can actually find an AGP card.
  2. In addition to what Sunius said, the slow AGP interface will severely limit any semi-modern graphics card. I would recommend you
    wait and save about 300£-ish, salvage what you can from your old pc (possibly case, power supply, HDD, optical storage, card readers, add-in cards, etc.) and upgrade.

With 300£, you could build quite a decent system with an i3 and a 7770, for example.
  3. @Spell Or get a 965, and put forward the saved £40 to buy a 7850.
  4. At this stage, a new system is what I'd recommend, but that's not what you're asking. AGP cards are almost extinct with the newer PCIe standard. Honestly, adding a new graphics card will be like putting it on life support. It'll last, but not that long.
  5. Hiya guys.

Thank you very much for your time and your replies :).

My PC is quite fast you see, everything has run fast and smooth on it for years. I just want to improve the graphics on WoW (that seems to be the measuring stick lol).

If I did make/buy a new PC, what would be the minimum spec I would need to run WoW with most settings on Ultra? Thanks again for your time.

6. By modern standards World of Warcraft is not that tough in the graphics department.

I imagine a mid range current generation GPU and CPU should be able to max out WoW with room to spare, however take that with a grain of salt as this is just my guesswork ;-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics