Another advice for new build thread..

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2012 5:56:16 AM

Well, it's about that time.
I'm building my first computer this week. I've put a lot of research into this thing, I've checked the benchmark charts and I've studied the reliability of the brands. Looking for a bit of advice or reassurance that I am not making a mistake here.

So with that in order, here's the basic schpiell:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: ~$2500 (flexible)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Gaming, Gaming, Admiring Boot Times

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg all day er'day

Parts Preferences: Intel > Life

Overclocking: We're going to try

SLI or Crossfire: Not planning on it

Your Monitor Resolution: I don't much care, I have been running 800x600 to squeeze out 15 fps the last year or so. Yep, that bad.

Additional Comments: Kinda stuck between the minimalistic look vs the gaming look (with all the lights and acrylic windows and what not). Could go for either

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I work too much, creating excess money, and I am 100% a nerd for hardware

So, now for the components:
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
CPU: Intel i7-3770K (K means unlocked multiplier, but what's wrong with just adjusting base clock)?
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Mobo: Gigabyte g1 sniper m3 micro Atx board, z77
PSU: Corsair's 850W AX Prof. Series
Storage: 2x 120 gb Samsung 840 series SSDs
Memory: 2x Corsair Dominator Platinum 16Gb (2x 8Gb)
Case: Was thinking of silverstones FT03, maybe the ft03-mini. Looked into cooler masters hafxb and bitfenix's Prodigy.
Cooling: Custom water loop, lost of components from all over.

And now my story, I'll keep it brief.
I used to be a hardcore gamer, WoW primarily along with other occasional games. I haven't picked up the mouse in over a year, as life has taken me for quite a ride during said year. I've amassed a good bit of money, a fraction of it I want to spend on myself, and a fraction of that I want to buy a computer. I'm heavily interested in computer hardware, buying a great machine that has a great price/performance ratio but will also last quite awhile (I know I can't futureproof anything and blah blah blah). After much research, I've come down to those components above. I know WoW isn't exactly a video intensive game, but regardless.

My Specific Questions:
1) Can I overclock my machine if I do not get the 'K' marked CPU just by adjusting base clock and are there any disadvantages to doing so?
2) Can I use 16GB of RAM in dual channel and then allocate the remaining 16gb for a RAM Cache, improving SSD performance? Recommendations?
3) The reason I chose that GPU was because it seemed to have a decent price/performance ratio and I can attach a 680 full-cover waterblock to it later if I want to add it to the loop-- thoughts?
4) RAID 0, 1, 5.... maybe 10... what do you recommend. Should I up the storage capacity, as I read the performance with ssd's increases linearly with storage capacity, what would you do?

So on to the last part:
If you can answer any of the 4 questions above with supported facts, kuddos to you sir/ma'm. Otherwise, if you can't, would you please instead criticize my component choices? I chose these parts based on about an hour's worth of research into each product, more or less.
- The samsung ssd's seem to be near the top of the charts and yet have jaw dropping prices when you catch the deals (I have), that's why I bought them. Also, I don't need any more than 128 gbs of storage. Maybe 256 gb to be safe, any more than that I will not use, I promise you. Any reason to change SSD picks?
- the mobo I picked (I know, I know, I didn't choose Asus. Please don't set me on fire now) was because gigabyte seems to always be right behind asus in the benchmarks (as little as they matter in mobo's) and I read they use very good NIC's and they have a very good internet "prioritizing" software that I can use to optimize my connection (whatever the hell that means). Any thoughts on that? Again, please be specific.
- The CPU I picked was because hexacores get too expensive and Ivy Bridge seems to be the way to go. yep.
- The RAM I chose were because A) They have good timings B) Corsair is a fantastic company, I literally am putting faith into this product because I have such a high respect for corsair. If Anyone has suggestions for something different, show me and explain why it's a better choice.
- The case I chose because I don't like the idea of having a standard mid size tower where 90% of the volume is space. I'm water cooling, so air flow isn't *that* important. (I know I'll regret that statement) If anyone has some good ideas for a smallish chassis, please tell me.
- The PSU I chose because I love corsair, and because it was ranked in tier 1 in neweggs forums tier list. If you really think you have a better PSU that is moderately cheaper, equivalent or better quality, and is from a brand that historically has a great track record of top performance, show me the facts.
- The cooling I have planned, it's good stuff, I'm not worried about it. If anyone was actually interested, I'm using the HydrX from swiftech coolant with tygon tubing, standard size, mcp655 pump, 0.999 silver compression fittings, silver kill coil, and aqua computer airplex revolution copper radiators. I think the block I decided on was the swiftech apogee something or other, I have it written down somewhere.

Anyways, thats the end of my ridiculously long post. If anyone is actually willing to read all of that and respond with supporting facts and advice, you have my utmost gratitude, and know that you a truly helping someone with something they care about. Feel free to post anything; if I'm bottlenecking something severely then tell me and yell at me for doing so, just be respectful.
We're all civil here.

Cheers,
Nostalgic First-Timer

More about : advice build thread

November 24, 2012 7:58:46 AM

Good Build.
i7-3770 also is ocable.
m
l
November 24, 2012 10:51:17 AM

-i5 3570ks are for games. i7s are not
-evga does not make the best cards. better cards out there
-i wouldnt get a micro build for SLI
-ax850 is overkill
-840 non pros suck
-dominator platinum does not perform any better
-tiny cases wont do if you are going to run all these components
-cheapest way to do custom is to get a rasa kit
-raid 0 performs no better in daily usage

left in a heatsink just incase if you are not to watercool
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pcNX

and here is the rasa kit. has everything you need. does not cool the video card though. not like the video card runs hot anyways
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14182/ex-wat-181/XSPC...
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2012 11:03:57 AM

Don't bother with the i7 - it's paying $100 more for hyperthreading, which games don't use.

I love that monitor, but don't get 4GB of VRAM. It doesn't make the card faster, and is only helpful for 3 or more monitors.

850w is way overkill - 750w is enough for SLI / Crossfire.

Instead of getting two 120GB drives, get a single 240. Because of the performance increase in SSDs as they get larger, it's by far the better option.

Don't bother with 32GB of ram. With Battlefield 3, photoshop, AND 20 tabs open in Chrome, I only use about 6GB of the 8 I have. 8 is more than plenty - 16 is pointless. If you want a ram cashe, you can do that, but with how fast SSDs are, it'll slow down your boot times by trying to load the ramdisk.

You CAN overclock with the bus clock, but if you go more than a couple hundred megahertz, you'll fry your SATA, USB, and DIMM (ram) ports. So get the "k" processor.

m
l
November 24, 2012 3:30:06 PM

Quote:
I love that monitor, but don't get 4GB of VRAM. It doesn't make the card faster, and is only helpful for 3 or more monitors.

Quote:
-evga does not make the best cards. better cards out there

What card would you guys recommend then?
Quote:

-i wouldnt get a micro build for SLI

I'm not running SLI

Quote:
Don't bother with the i7 - it's paying $100 more for hyperthreading, which games don't use.

Will games start to use hyper-threading in the future? What process would take advantage of hyper-threading?

Quote:
-840 non pros suck

Re-looked at the benchmark charts, thank you sir

Quote:
You CAN overclock with the bus clock, but if you go more than a couple hundred megahertz, you'll fry your SATA, USB, and DIMM (ram) ports. So get the "k" processor.

Thank you very much

Quote:
850w is way overkill - 750w is enough for SLI / Crossfire.

Quote:
-ax850 is overkill

I'm looking to probably keep this PSU for my next build in a number of years. I wanted one the highest quality PSU's I could get, and I wanted a lot of headroom so it wouldn't be running anywhere near 100% load as noise level is also something I care about.

Quote:
-cheapest way to do custom is to get a rasa kit

Ehh. I prefer my setup. Skinee labs has statistic that would, at the very least, suggest that the radiator (airplex revo 240) I'm getting is a good radiator. I wanted a good coolant that had biocide and corrosion protection, HydrX has good reviews and has both. It's also green, matches my system quite well. That pump I'm getting I've heard nothing but good stories about, and I'm still deciding between corsairs SP120 fans or the silverstones ap120's, but you can't argue too much about fan choices because if I really wanted performance I'd slap a delta on there and call it a day; as mentioned before, I also care about noise. These fans seem to be a good balance between static pressure capability, noise level, and performance, but there are so many different fans out there....

Quote:
-tiny cases wont do if you are going to run all these components

I've seen plenty of ft03 builds. ft03 mini would be a challenge, but I've seen 2 out there. The other cases I mentioned just get bigger; this build is definitely capable of happening with any of the cases I mentioned, with maybe the only exception being the ft03-mini. And yes I know the mini supports only an SFX PSU, I could still mod the ax850 in there
m
l
November 24, 2012 4:09:37 PM

benchmarks mean nothing when you know that the 840 uses USB quality nand that is lower quality than the async stuff found in cheap SSDs such as the agility series the 840 pro is the exact opposite being the highest performing

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-test...

-i recommended a video card there.

-if you are not to SLI, dont get a huge power supply. a 550-650w is more than enough. video cards only get less power hungry

-too much headroom= wasted money. power supplys are most efficient at 50% load. the system config right now wont draw more than 270w with very high overclocks on the GPU. therefore the ax850 makes zero sense

-if you are sure about it, go ahead. but for the fans, id suggest noctua nf-f12s. they look terrible in most peoples rig but they are built the best. the corsair sp120 is ok

you cant mod a huge power supply into such a small case. you just broke the warranty and could break the power supply

m
l
!