lexmark x4270

having problems installing thelexmark x4270 printer, when i
connect the usb cable to the printer it causes my computer
crash ther for i can't do a ful install, what could be
causing this there's a message that shows up but does not
stay on the screen long enough....please help...thanks

The most likely place to start are the drivers. If you are using the out of
box drivers for the printer, check the Lexmark site for the latest XP
compatible drivers for the unit, remove the old drivers and install these
and see if that resolves it.

Next possibility would be the unit's fax modem. You likely have a fax modem
installed on your computer, it's possible the Lexmark unit conflicts, you
might try removing the PC's modem and see if that resolves the issue. If
yes, you need to check the PC modems manual or manufacturer's website to see
if there's an option to turn off that modems fax function, then reinstall
and see if it still causes a problem.

Beyond that, you can check the Event Viewer for errors corresponding to when
this happens. Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event
Viewer, look for corresponding errors, double click the error, the
information contained within may give a hint as to the source of the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Fred Z" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> having problems installing thelexmark x4270 printer, when i
> connect the usb cable to the printer it causes my computer
> crash ther for i can't do a ful install, what could be
> causing this there's a message that shows up but does not
> stay on the screen long enough....please help...thanks

TRENDING THREADS