Sign in with
Your question

Monitor flickering..prepare for a crash?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2012 5:03:04 PM

Hi Guys,
Please forgive the noob question but it's the first time I've dealt with monitor issues. I have an HP G60 series lappie, Vista with a stock NVidia 8200M G card. I just did a clean re-install of my OS a few days ago and today my screen is flickering badly. I did notice I'd forgotten to update to Service Pack 2 so I'm currently DL'ing all the missing stuff. If it helps diagnose, when it's on the blue "installing service pack" screen, not a hint of flickering, I also saw none while I was at the Nvidia menu as I was checking my settings...I checked all the basics, refresh rate, drivers, rez...here's my inquiry; Shall I prepare to shop for a new lappie or do you think the fact that it's currently an intermittant problem that it can be fixed? I'm willing to buy a new video card, but not to spend more time and money on a $450 five year old lappie.
PS, I have backed up 95% of its contents
Thanks my friends
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 30, 2012 5:54:45 PM

i don't know anything about laptops but.....

you did a reinstall of the opsys. you got drivers for your video where ? windows update or from nvidia ? and go to windows update to see if there is anything else you might need. Maybe firmware update for screen ?

you may have dust build up in your laptop. this will happen over time. anyway to pull it apart to clean ?

check device manager for needs.

m
l
September 30, 2012 7:02:54 PM

swifty_morgan said:

you did a reinstall of the opsys. you got drivers for your video where ? windows update or from nvidia ? and go to windows update to see if there is anything else you might need. Maybe firmware update for screen ?

you may have dust build up in your laptop. this will happen over time. anyway to pull it apart to clean ?

Thanks for replying, the drivers came with the install, I went to the NVidia site just now and downloaded the latest for my Nvidia model and no change, the resolution pre-selected said 1366x768 (native)..I then decided to select one slightly lower, 1360x768 and the flickering stopped for about 10 min. It may be worth mentioning that the flickering doesn't happen when I'm at the control panel, only on my desktop which is a static home photo and on the web? I will tell you my home office gets super hot in the summer even with the AC, once in awhile the lappie overheats and shuts down. I've meant to buy a bottom-seated laptop fan but never got around to it, wonder if overheating plays an issue? I'm going to shut it off for 10 min and let it cool, blow it out with compressed air and turn it back on, see if it stops flickering till it gets warm again, this should tell us if heat is a problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
September 30, 2012 7:17:13 PM

You should be able to see your temperatures using a free program such as CPUID HWMonitor, coretemp, and GPU-z. Laptops aren't my specialty either but HWMonitor works with my ancient Gateway laptop, give it a shot and report your temps on your cpu and gpu.

Also, the internal monitor connection can sometimes get loose. Does the flickering have anything to do with jiggling or swinging your screen up and down? - my old gateway has that problem and will flicker a lot when the screen is in a certain position.
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 30, 2012 7:26:52 PM

wyattspoppa said:
Thanks for replying, the drivers came with the install, I went to the NVidia site just now and downloaded the latest for my Nvidia model and no change, the resolution pre-selected said 1366x768 (native)..I then decided to select one slightly lower, 1360x768 and the flickering stopped for about 10 min.

What about refresh rate? What's it set at and did you try changing it?
m
l
September 30, 2012 7:45:02 PM

swifty_morgan said:

I took off the covers to the battery, the mem cards and the vid card, blew it out with compressed air including the air vents. cooled in in front of a fan for 20 min, fired it up and it was flickering as it loaaded. We're at windows currently with no flickering at all, I'll let it run until it wams up again, see if heat plays a factor. I figure it this way, if it begins flickering again in the next 10 min or so then it can only be heat related, perhaps the vid card has suffered by my allowing it to run so hot for several years. I wouldn't even bother you guys, I'd just buy another lappie but I'm on disability so funds are a little tight.
So grateful for your time,
Thanks much
Wyattspoppa
m
l
September 30, 2012 7:55:27 PM

larkspur said:

Installing the temp checker now, 10 min and no flckering..I thought of a loose cable but very unlikely, I never close the thing, I use it like a 2nd desktop, not as a portable PC. Will report temps
m
l
September 30, 2012 7:59:45 PM

Here are the results, I don't know what good temps are
CPU 91c
HD O 49C
TEMP 1 73
TEMP 2 73
CORE 85C
All have an icon of a flame next to them, these results are after the lappie was running for 10 min after being cold for 30
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 30, 2012 8:12:46 PM

wow, from my standpoint the temps are wacko. any way to remove the heat sink on the processor, clean it up and reapply thermal paste ?
m
l
September 30, 2012 8:16:03 PM

larkspur said:

It began again after about 20 min but I'm currently watching "The Avengers", a video intensive movie and other than it playing darker than normal, no flickering...I'm complete;y stumped.
m
l
September 30, 2012 8:17:58 PM

swifty_morgan said:
wow, from my standpoint the temps are wacko. any way to remove the heat sink on the processor, clean it up and reapply thermal paste ?

No brother, that work is beyond my abilities...by whacko do you mean too high?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 30, 2012 8:30:13 PM

LOL............... yes.
m
l
October 1, 2012 10:47:34 AM

Hey Swifty.
Went out completely during the night, do you know if replacing the vid card will resolve this? When I tap on the mouse pad it still responds audibly (hard drive is fine) but I don't want to pick up a $100 video card if that won't fix my issue ya know? Don't sweat it, I know you can't diagnose a PC you can't see, your opinion will be grand.
Hey, thanks for your valuable time
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
October 1, 2012 3:58:28 PM

don't know anything about laptops. if you didn't solve the heat problem and you cleaned everything and you checked cabling I have no more suggestions other than what's been posted.
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:13:18 PM

I hooked up my desktop monitor to it and it ran perfectly (nothing wrong with the HDD or operating system), it even kicked the display on a few times on both screens. I'm sure it's a heat sink issue, dirt, cracking etc but I went half-way in the lappie and realized it was going to be too complicated and didn't want to risk breaking a ribbon cable or something else. I'm gonna take it into a shop, see what they'll charge, anything below $200 is still worth it, half the price of a low end new one. I'll post back for others and for your edification. Thanks for all your suggestions
m
l
!