No video, no beeps - only sometimes!

kat1011

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I've had this system working great about 6 months. All of a sudden yesterday, no video and no beeps (everything else appears normal: all fans spinning, hard drives working).

I tried alternate output (same graphics card), no good. I switched graphics card, it booted fine. An hour later, it shut down (rather than just going to sleep, which was a first) and the same problem: no video, no beeps.

There's no integrated graphics ports on the mobo to try. I took out the graphics card, and put it back in (making sure it was completely in and secure). No video, no beeps. I took the graphics card out, and put the original back in. Booted great! A few hours later, the computer shut down (again, without being told to), and the mystery reappeared.

It seems 1 out of every 4+ times that I remove and reinsert the graphics card, I can get a successful POST and boot, but it doesn't take long for the computer to shut down and the problem is back. SmartDoctor says my graphics card has no problems.

Please help!

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Black Edition
Mobo: ASROCK 970DE3/U3S3
BIOS: AMI
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2x4GB)
PSU: Inland Gold Series ILG-400-2 400 Watt ATX
Graphics Card (Original): AMD Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
Secondary: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB

All parts were new when I put the system together in June 2012. Have had no problems until now.