New PC won't start

coffeeleet

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hello.

I have a new PC, which I got yesterday, the name of the PC is : Jimm's Barbarian
Specs: Intel i7-3770K 3.5GHz, 8MB
Intel Z77
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB, DDR3 1600MHz, CL9
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green, 3.5", Sata3, IntelliPower, 64MB
Asus DRW-24B5ST
CoolerMaster Silencio 550 ATX
CoolerMaster GX 650W
(http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/JIMMS-GAMER-BARBARIAN)

It's a prebuilt bought PC.

The problem is, that when I start it, first a "Jimm's" logo picture shows up, and under it it says "Press F2 or DEL for blabla BIOS" something, and then that text just disappears and the picture stays. So basically the PC freezes with that picture, and nothing happens.
Anyway, when I press F2 or DEL it first says "Realtek PCi Gigabit Ethernet Agent... Press SHIFT + F10 to configure..." and then BIOS pops up.

The BIOS Boot order is : 1. "Windows Boot Manager (P1: WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0)
2. "P1: WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0
3: "Realtek Boot Agent"
4. "P5: ASUS DRW-24B5ST"

As mentioned, it's a prebuilt and good to go PC, Windows is installed and the PC should've been tested before the delivery. Everything should be OK when starting it, but it just freezes and won't start properly.

Worth to mention is that the computer has been transported with bus so it isn't impossible that something is loose in the PC, but if not everything should be good... (I checked it quickly also before starting it.)

Would love some help... A little frustrated of course when your new PC doesn't even boot...

EDIT: I should also add that if I disable the fullscreen logo picture, it just boots normally with some text, and then it just freezes with a black streen that has a little - line a little up to the left corner.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
So you're getting BIOS, and assuming your HDMI or monitor output is going from the video card to the monitor, your graphics card is ok. It looks like the issue is either with your hard disk, the windows installation, or the RAM.

Test in this order:

1) RAM Issue: On a working computer, install memtest on a USB flash drive (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso "auto-installer for USB.") Then change boot priority to USB drive in BIOS, stick in USB flash drive with memtest on it, and let it run. If you get lots of errors, your RAM has an issue. Remove one stick of RAM and run memtest on each of the sticks in isolation to pinpoint which stick of RAM (or both) are faulty.

2) Windows Issue: Try to change the boot priority from boot manager to the hard disk itself (P1: WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0.) If it doesn't work, re-install windows and remove the system reserved partition with the boot manager then set #1 boot priority to the hard disk.

3) Hard Disk Issue: you'll have to send it back and get another

coffeeleet

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

I just had the chassi opened, while booting the PC with only the power and monitor connected, still the exact same thing happens, boots, some text normal at startup, and then full black screen with a little " - "and the pc freezes.

I have already tried changing boot order I think, and it didn't work, don't remember why so I will try again.
As for the RAM, I doubt that could be the issue? Since this PC is brand new with new parts..?

Also when having the box open I saw that the HDD's light was on and it seemed to work just fine, so did the fans and pretty much everything sounds & looks good.

I will try again and be back shortly..

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Also, from searching for black screen of death on here, it looks like other peoples' issues were related to the graphics card either being faulty or not having the drivers for the graphics card installed. You could try either booting in safe mode and installing the graphics drivers, or take out your graphics card and connect your monitor directly to the motherboard's HDMI output on the back I/O panel and see if it boots fine.

coffeeleet

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Hmm.. it should all be fine to be honest, they should've installed all drivers and windows...
maybe I should try put in the windows CD and "repair" or whatever?

And also if you know, do you mind telling me where I can boot in safe mode? Not really familiar with this new motherboard and PC.. :p

Once again thanks for helping :)

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Np, hope you get it fixed. For safe mode keep hitting F8 during boot up and it should give you a menu of how you want to start windows. But with you getting the black screen it may not even be able to reach that point. Yeah a re-install/repair of windows would be best.

coffeeleet

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Okay, so I tried booting the harddrive first, I got this message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6, 570,884, US6,115,776 and US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.43 (08/25/11)
PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-M0F : EXITING PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Inser Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

OH Anyway, I tried to put in the Windows Installation disc and boot it, and apparantely it went just right into the Windows Installation screen, like it isn't installed already.

If it was installed, shouldn't there be an option to Repair or Uninstall or Reinstall?

coffeeleet

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
However it seems as if my harddrive has : 953869MB (approx. 954GB out of 1TB) space left, could that mean that Windows 7 Already is installed..?

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah it looks that's windows + other stuff. Windows itself (7 64-bit) will take up around 15 GB. Other stuff could be bloatware the PC maker put on there

coffeeleet

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
However... on another forum some guy said that 1TB harddrives are around 950gb anyway, and it actually looks like Windows isn't installed (since I don't have "reinstall" or "repair" or "Uninstall" options when I put the disc in..?)

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Oh yeah then you don't have it installed. I'm not too familiar with hard drives I just use a small SSD since I don't have a need for large storage space.