Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will my CPU "bottleneck" a GTX 580?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 30, 2012 8:56:11 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and I'm afraid my CPU will bottleneck it. My specs are listed below:

CPU: Intel i5 2310 @ 2.9GHz (Quad-core)
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 1GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3
PSU: No idea what model, but it's 500w (I'm looking to upgrade this to a Corsair 600)
OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Sorry I don't know the exact models of my hardware (I think my graphics card is a Sparkle though), I'm a bit of a noob in the hardware section. Anyway, will my CPU or any of my specs bottleneck a GTX 580?

More about : cpu bottleneck gtx 580

Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 9:01:41 PM

quick answer:
NO!
September 30, 2012 9:02:42 PM

Anonymous said:
quick answer:
NO!

Any more helpful input?
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 9:03:04 PM

Naw I feel your graphics card will not be bottlenecked by a new graphics card. If anything things like your hard drive will be a bottleneck if you aren't using a SSD versus a regular mechanical hard drive. Also, I would look at the 600 series instead of the GTX580 get a GTX670 at that price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 30, 2012 9:04:28 PM

Anonymous said:
quick answer:
NO!

Wait sorry! I thought that was a no it won't run.
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 9:13:03 PM

ToastWiz said:
Wait sorry! I thought that was a no it won't run.

no worries . .now there are games that will benefit from a faster clock speed but the ratio of clockspeed/FPS is not exactly the best; benefiting more with a SLI/crossfire set up. but most games do not scale well with an increase in clock speed.
September 30, 2012 9:14:12 PM

Is anybody else wondering how he has 6gb of RAM?
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 9:15:29 PM

Agreed CPU performance doesn't really impact nearly as much now a days I mean yea you get small incremental changes but nothing that would inflict a bottleneck. Hard Drives and Ram now that is a different story.
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 9:26:09 PM

Delirious788 said:
Is anybody else wondering how he has 6gb of RAM?

not really, 2x2gb and 2x1gb, ie 3gigs per channel, works just fine...
or it could be one of those stupid pre-builds that has 4 and 2gb sticks in it, which is silly.


a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 10:55:52 PM

ToastWiz said:
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and I'm afraid my CPU will bottleneck it. My specs are listed below:

CPU: Intel i5 2310 @ 2.9GHz (Quad-core)
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 1GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3
PSU: No idea what model, but it's 500w (I'm looking to upgrade this to a Corsair 600)
OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Sorry I don't know the exact models of my hardware (I think my graphics card is a Sparkle though), I'm a bit of a noob in the hardware section. Anyway, will my CPU or any of my specs bottleneck a GTX 580?


You definitely won't have a bottleneck with that cpu, however i'm not sure about you psu because you don't know the brand/model of it.

How much are you paying for the gtx 580? You can get a gtx 670 for under $400 and it destroys the 580!
September 30, 2012 11:31:18 PM

maxh22 said:
You definitely won't have a bottleneck with that cpu, however i'm not sure about you psu because you don't know the brand/model of it.

How much are you paying for the gtx 580? You can get a gtx 670 for under $400 and it destroys the 580!

Yeah I'm thinking about getting the 670 now considering the advice I've been getting. The PSU I'm upgrading anyway, to a Corsair 600W.
September 30, 2012 11:37:25 PM

I have overclocked HD 7850 which is roughly equal to GTX 580 in performance and I have i5 2500K which is at stock clocks (3.3 GHz) and I think it says enough that my CPU usage doesn't go over 35-55% in most modern games while GPU usage goes to 99%.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 11:46:38 PM

Kari said:
not really, 2x2gb and 2x1gb, ie 3gigs per channel, works just fine...
or it could be one of those stupid pre-builds that has 4 and 2gb sticks in it, which is silly.




Actually, since that processor is only compatible with dual channel motherboards, if he has 3 2 gb ram sticks, 2 are running in dual channel and the single lonely stick is on single channel.

If he has a 4gb stick and a 2gb stick they are probably both running in single channel mode....


Either way it would be less than ideal.


Downloading maxxmem2 and running it will tell you what mode the ram is running at.

October 2, 2012 12:44:18 PM

maxalge said:
Actually, since that processor is only compatible with dual channel motherboards, if he has 3 2 gb ram sticks, 2 are running in dual channel and the single lonely stick is on single channel.

If he has a 4gb stick and a 2gb stick they are probably both running in single channel mode....


Either way it would be less than ideal.


Downloading maxxmem2 and running it will tell you what mode the ram is running at.

I didn't build the computer myself so I don't know but I downloaded that application and it says it's running dual channel.
October 2, 2012 2:14:03 PM

What about more low-end CPU ? I mean i3-540 :-) .. Bottleneck so much with HD 7850 ?? Im using those CPU for now, and will upgrade the GPU this week..
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 8:42:38 PM

Sarbath said:
What about more low-end CPU ? I mean i3-540 :-) .. Bottleneck so much with HD 7850 ?? Im using those CPU for now, and will upgrade the GPU this week..



Actually... You should mess with the BCLK on it, those hit 3.8ghz on stock volts and cooler and about ~4.4ghz with extra volts + aftermarket cooling.


If you overclock it, the cpu would still bottleneck, but not so horribly that you could not roll with it for a while till the money for a new cpu comes along.


!