Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Router to modem

Last response: in Networking
November 13, 2011 8:54:18 PM

I am trying unsuccessfully to connect an Airlink 101 n-router to a westell A90 Wirespeed router installed in 2008. PC is windows XP and connection is AT&T DSL. I cannot get internet connection through the router. I also have a Barricade router that I can try. Do I need to bridge the modem to the router and can I do this without paying AT&T $100? I want to use my Nook and laptop through the wifi. Detailed instructions and suggestions would be appreciated as I have exhausted my resources.

More about : router modem

November 14, 2011 6:41:33 PM

If you are connecting two routers together, you need to configure the first one for passthough or you will have NAT issues. But I think the Westell Wirespeed is a modem is it not? Or is it a Router?

DSL modems can be configured different ways, it may be manually set, in which case you will have to manually configure the Router to get the settings needed.

Does the router get a dhcp address on it's WAN port when you connect them together? Have you tried both wired and wireless connections?
November 14, 2011 9:02:52 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you are connecting two routers together, you need to configure the first one for passthough or you will have NAT issues. But I think the Westell Wirespeed is a modem is it not? Or is it a Router?

DSL modems can be configured different ways, it may be manually set, in which case you will have to manually configure the Router to get the settings needed.

Does the router get a dhcp address on it's WAN port when you connect them together? Have you tried both wired and wireless connections?

Yes, sorry it is a modem and the settings are not changeable.;manually set. I thought I was getting some where as I configured the Barricade router, but after I put in ppoe settings, i lost all connectivity and couldn't get into the setup again. I'm using wired right now, not sure if the pc has wireless capability
Related resources
November 15, 2011 12:49:09 PM

Are you connecting the router correctly, to the WAN port? If you look at the router config what do you see? The Router should have gotten it's config from the modem, what is the WAN port config look like?

Another thing you can try, is to clone your PCs MAC to the router if the WAN configuration looks correct.

You could also try to copy all of the modem settings into the router, and set the modem for pass-though, at times that needs to be done depending on the DSL configuration. But you'll need to know the account username and password to enter.
November 15, 2011 1:24:51 PM

How do I set the modem for pass through? I have entered modem's page and there is very little there that can be changed. I didn't see a pass through or bridge option. The router and pc communicate through pinging. It's the router and modem that don't jive. I'll check WAN config. of the router.
November 15, 2011 1:44:02 PM

The modem should have a passthrough option to enable DSL to authenticate using the Router. Don't know where it would be for that modem though. I have setup about 20 DSL connections using this configuration where the DSL logon and account info was in the Router, not the modem. We needed to use that to setup the VPN tunnel properly.

If the PC works fine when connected to the modem, and you can get the PC to see the router when those are connected, the issue is with the router getting the proper WAN settings over to it from the modem.
November 15, 2011 5:09:36 PM

Problem solved! I was using the only password I had, which was for email. The ATTT folks gave me a network password which I didn't know existed. When I used it to set up the router everything went smooth as silk. thanks for your time and help

Best solution

November 15, 2011 6:02:50 PM

fbarks said:
Problem solved! I was using the only password I had, which was for email. The ATTT folks gave me a network password which I didn't know existed. When I used it to set up the router everything went smooth as silk. thanks for your time and help

Yes, the account used for connecting to the DSL service is not the same as the email account, glad you got it sorted out.
November 16, 2011 8:15:06 AM

Best answer selected by fbarks.
!