Upgrade time!.. but I need help..

brayvinn

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
It's that time of year! Time to upgrade my PC! yayyy!!! :pt1cable:
Okay, enough of that, down to business. I made my computer 2 years ago and she is getting a bit slow with all of these new games becoming more demanding and I need some help with the upgrade process.

Here is my current setup:

motherboard: foxconn a88gmx <---- This needs an upgrade to something with AM3+

CPU: amd athlon ii x4 640 (Overclocked to 3.3 GHz, has coolermaster hyper 212+ heatsink/fan) <---- This needs an upgrade.

RAM: g.skill ripjaws (8 gigs, 1600 MHz) <---- I don't plan on changing that.

Video card: ATI radeon 5750 1g gddr5 (overclocked GPU to 830 MHz, memory to 1255 MHz) <---- needs and upgrade.

Power supply: Seasonic S12 II 620 watt. <---- Does this need an upgrade?.. I'm not sure..

Boot drive: some OCZ SSD that I can't remember the name of.. 65 GB. <---- just a boot drive, not changing that.

HDD: some western digital HDD that I can't remember the name of, 500gb. <---- upgrading this.

All packed into the coolermaster HAF 922 case!
With my current power supply, how far will I be able to upgrade my CPU/video card?
I want the black edition AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core.
and the XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0.
Will my power supply be able to handle those? Or will I need to upgrade that too?
Also, I need help with a motherboard.. will a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ be okay? It has a PCIe 2.0 slot, the video card I want is PCEe 3.0, will the two be compatible even though the motherboard has only a PCIe 2.0?

brayvinn

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

You are sure that with the new motherboard, CPU, and video card that I want everything will be fine? I'm not doubting you, it's just that I like to be super sure before I put down a couple of hundred dollars.