Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade time!.. but I need help..

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2012 3:29:50 PM

It's that time of year! Time to upgrade my PC! yayyy!!! :pt1cable: 
Okay, enough of that, down to business. I made my computer 2 years ago and she is getting a bit slow with all of these new games becoming more demanding and I need some help with the upgrade process.

Here is my current setup:

motherboard: foxconn a88gmx <---- This needs an upgrade to something with AM3+

CPU: amd athlon ii x4 640 (Overclocked to 3.3 GHz, has coolermaster hyper 212+ heatsink/fan) <---- This needs an upgrade.

RAM: g.skill ripjaws (8 gigs, 1600 MHz) <---- I don't plan on changing that.

Video card: ATI radeon 5750 1g gddr5 (overclocked GPU to 830 MHz, memory to 1255 MHz) <---- needs and upgrade.

Power supply: Seasonic S12 II 620 watt. <---- Does this need an upgrade?.. I'm not sure..

Boot drive: some OCZ SSD that I can't remember the name of.. 65 GB. <---- just a boot drive, not changing that.

HDD: some western digital HDD that I can't remember the name of, 500gb. <---- upgrading this.

All packed into the coolermaster HAF 922 case!
With my current power supply, how far will I be able to upgrade my CPU/video card?
I want the black edition AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core.
and the XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0.
Will my power supply be able to handle those? Or will I need to upgrade that too?
Also, I need help with a motherboard.. will a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ be okay? It has a PCIe 2.0 slot, the video card I want is PCEe 3.0, will the two be compatible even though the motherboard has only a PCIe 2.0?

More about : upgrade time

November 24, 2012 3:51:09 PM

Everything looks good, I would add another 500 Gb WD hard drive, you have plenty room for another hard drive. Power supply should be no issue, good quality one!
m
l
November 24, 2012 4:00:10 PM

knightdog56 said:
Everything looks good, I would add another 500 Gb WD hard drive, you have plenty room for another hard drive. Power supply should be no issue, good quality one!

You are sure that with the new motherboard, CPU, and video card that I want everything will be fine? I'm not doubting you, it's just that I like to be super sure before I put down a couple of hundred dollars.
m
l
November 24, 2012 4:04:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!