Small low power pc for Squeezebox server

Bosconermal

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello all:

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on the best system for a low-power mini- or micro-ITX system that will be used exclusively for a Squeezebox server. It will run Linux

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: next couple of weeks

Budget Range: up to $300 - $400, but I'm flexible if something is clearly better for a bit more it'd be okay

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Squeezebox server-- that's all

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: buying complete system

Do you need to buy OS: No - plan to use Linux

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not particular: have used both Newegg and NCIX in the past

Parts Preferences: probably Intel

Overclocking: Maybe - I don't think that the purpose requires that

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know if this is important

Your Monitor Resolution: n/a

Additional Comments: need to have wake on LAN and low power consumption (as low as is sensible). I was thinking of using using a smallish SSD (maybe 60 gigs, though that's probably overkill)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: music is stored on a QNAP TS-409 that has a squeezebox server. I have not been able to get a SB server to work on it for the life of me, but it is great storage. I have more success running the server off a laptop, but I would like a wired, less-finicky, permanently-in-place solution. We have cabled the house. This mini-pc doesn't need to have a lot of storage, since the music is on the NAS.

any help appreciated!

CAlbertson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2013

What did you end up with. For low power it is hard to beat the Atom D525MW. This is an Intel mother board with the CPU soldered down. Amazon sells it for $85. Not a bad price for a M/B and CPU combo. You can run Linux on it fast enough with 2GB RAM and boot from a USB thumb drive.

I'm using this for a test server now and found the LAN port is not great. Buy and Inntel pro/1000 on eBay for $10 and now I can run at 1000 Mbits/sec However I want to use ZFS file system and need 8GB RAM and the board only take 4GB. In your case 2GB is enough.

Video streaming does not stress a server, even the low-end CPU is over kill.