Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Been thinking of a potential vampire character concept. Basically,
decades ago, kid gets embraced at a young age by a girl he meets one
night after the game or something. Kid goes home and makes his first
meal out of his 'rents. Kid panicks, manages to hide out on a college
campus, where he manages to eek out an existence doing homework for the
CS students (did I mention he's a genius?) and then making them his
blood dolls.

Meanwhile, the parents are found, and without their kid; authorities
decide the killer kidnapped the child as well. massive manhunt begins.

Years later, the manhunt has ended, but his face can still be found on
the 'net, and is well known to anyone who's interested in the murder of
his parents.

So, is that fame, or infamy? I argue it is infamy, since anyone who
spotted him should know he should be older-looking by now; people would
have a negative reaction. My GM argues it is fame, since he is
well-known, but not neccesarily in a negative sense.

your thoughts?

guyvf@usa.net wrote:
> Been thinking of a potential vampire character concept. Basically,
> decades ago, kid gets embraced at a young age by a girl he meets one
> night after the game or something. Kid goes home and makes his first
> meal out of his 'rents. Kid panicks, manages to hide out on a college
> campus, where he manages to eek out an existence doing homework for the
> CS students (did I mention he's a genius?) and then making them his
> blood dolls.
>
> Meanwhile, the parents are found, and without their kid; authorities
> decide the killer kidnapped the child as well. massive manhunt begins.
>
> Years later, the manhunt has ended, but his face can still be found on
> the 'net, and is well known to anyone who's interested in the murder of
> his parents.
>
> So, is that fame, or infamy? I argue it is infamy, since anyone who
> spotted him should know he should be older-looking by now; people would
> have a negative reaction. My GM argues it is fame, since he is
> well-known, but not neccesarily in a negative sense.
>
> your thoughts?

What system?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

<guyvf@usa.net> wrote in message
> Been thinking of a potential vampire character concept. Basically,
> decades ago, kid gets embraced at a young age by a girl he meets one
> night after the game or something. Kid goes home and makes his first
> meal out of his 'rents. Kid panicks, manages to hide out on a college
> campus, where he manages to eek out an existence doing homework for the
> CS students (did I mention he's a genius?) and then making them his
> blood dolls.
>
> Meanwhile, the parents are found, and without their kid; authorities
> decide the killer kidnapped the child as well. massive manhunt begins.
>
> Years later, the manhunt has ended, but his face can still be found on
> the 'net, and is well known to anyone who's interested in the murder of
> his parents.
>
> So, is that fame, or infamy? I argue it is infamy, since anyone who
> spotted him should know he should be older-looking by now; people would
> have a negative reaction. My GM argues it is fame, since he is
> well-known, but not neccesarily in a negative sense.

Neither. Fame and Infarmy are based upon repution of some renown, either
posotive or negative, by the general public.

So for this example 2 "problems" come up:
1) The child/vampire is not known by either good (fame) or evil (infamy)
acts/reputation... atleast not per what you've mention above.
2) In the term "years later" even if it was the minimum of 2 years (the
least number of years where the term "year" can be used plural) the
child/vampire would not be "well-known". The few detectives that were at
the core of the investigation might know what he looks like, as with closer
family members... but to the general public he/she would have started the
fade to obscurity by now >> think about how many kidnapped/missing kids
you can put a face and name to from 2 or more years ago... Probably a few
of the big cases... maybe even a couple of "local" (in your city or state)
kids?
Maybe you can remember some... maybe even ALOT of kids. But for
whatever you can remember, when you put it next to stats like: each year
about 700,000-750,000 kids are reported as abducted by a family member...
and about 50,000-60,000 are abducted by non-family members... 1 kid from
"years ago" is not going to be on alot of people's mind (maybe one or two
dozen at the best) and therefore deserves no reputation.

The other thing to consider here is the "years later" thing... if its 2
years later and the kid/vampire runs into his aunt Martha on the street
she'll probably just ask "Billy? Is that you?"
If its much more than that (5 years or more) it would just be an "uncanny
resemblance" if anybody can even remember what the kid looked like at a
glance... IE: in the above, Aunt Martha isn't going to say "My God! Billy!
Its you! and you haven't aged in 10 years! EEEEEK" instead she'd probably
say "Sonny, you look like my nephew Billy... I haven't seen him in so many
years"

On 6 Mar 2005 18:58:04 -0800, guyvf@usa.net wrote:

>Been thinking of a potential vampire character concept. Basically,
>decades ago, kid gets embraced at a young age by a girl he meets one
>night after the game or something. Kid goes home and makes his first
>meal out of his 'rents. Kid panicks, manages to hide out on a college
>campus, where he manages to eek out an existence doing homework for the
>CS students (did I mention he's a genius?) and then making them his
>blood dolls.
>
>Meanwhile, the parents are found, and without their kid; authorities
>decide the killer kidnapped the child as well. massive manhunt begins.
>
>Years later, the manhunt has ended, but his face can still be found on
>the 'net, and is well known to anyone who's interested in the murder of
>his parents.
>
>So, is that fame, or infamy? I argue it is infamy, since anyone who
>spotted him should know he should be older-looking by now; people would
>have a negative reaction. My GM argues it is fame, since he is
>well-known, but not neccesarily in a negative sense.
>
>your thoughts?

Er...neither? At this point he's just a kid who looks uncannily like
some kid who he couldn't possibly be.