Oct 1, 2012
I have a Gateway FX4710-UB003A pc, specs include:

400watt power supply
6g memory
intel core 2 quad q9330 processors

The graphics card just died a
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800GT 512 MB video card, factory overclocked

any suggestions on what to upgrade to that the power supply will handle

I am a photographer and I do a lot of work in Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 with big 125mb raw files.

Thanks

nellie_15

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation by died. I mean have verticals red lines coming down the screen. Says driver is not working so. I updated driver still no go. Error code 43. A budget of about $200 give or take.

For raw compute on a budget is Fermi era GTX400/500 era cards but they do use a lot of power. Kepler has a lot of build quality issues and some performance related issues in certain compute apps. OpenGL support is mostly broken on anything newer than GTX2xx.

the GTX 650 wouldn't be a bad card. He just may need to use his CPU for some stuff and it might take longer. kepler Geforce cards are designed for Gaming. Not made for compute or OpenGL. Thats why nvidia does professional graphics on the kepler architecture... anyways its still a good card to get.

nellie_15

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

What card would you recommend Rockdpm

OK I now understand why people have been calling Nvidia fanboys Nvidiots and your 660 is over his budget. OP is better off for the short term to go with a 77x0 and save up for a higher end card to go along with a new psu. A decent Bronze or Silver rated 550w unit will run a power hog of a card just fine. I wouldn't be so sold on Kepler, sure it can play some games ok but once OpenCL becomes common place performance will suffer. Kepler is just despite the lower power consumption. The GT640 and "GTX"650 is just far too weak as well overpriced.

You AMD fanboys love to pick at Kepler don't you? Like a bully always looking for a weak spot to troll on... Listen the guy wants a NVIDIA card, then were gonna recommend him a NVIDIA card. the guy has a 200$ budget. a GTX 660 can run off a 460 watt power supply easily