Sign in with
Your question

Buy or wait for 700 series

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2012 4:44:21 AM

Right now im running a gtx 460 SC Evga. im planning on for christmas have my family pitch in to help me get a 670. I was reading before and people said the 700 or 800 series aka maxwell is going to be wayyy better then the 600's series. My question is should i wait or get the 600 series

More about : buy wait 700 series

a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 4:53:23 AM

I would wait but the 670 is still worth it imo I would just wait the next series will always be better than the last.And hopefully the cards will be cheaper by then as well.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:55:09 AM

That's really up to you.

Are you satisfied with your current gaming experience? Do you want more eye candy right now? Is your GPU even letting you enjoy your gaming time at your native resolution?

I don't know about you but AMD is not releasing their line up until mid-summer or later next year, I don't know about Nvidia but everyone knows that the next series will always be better than the last, there's no doubt about that.

Personally I just upgraded myself from a 550 ti to a 7870. For a $250 upgrade, I'm beyond satisfied myself and loving the extra stuff that is on at a 1680x1050 display.

It's all up to you, if I were in your position, I would wait if you are going to get the GPU at Christmas time. That is nearly 3 months away, anything from now and until then can happen, and that means rumors or leaks of different things for the next series etc. Of course it most likely won't happen but AMD/Nvidia could hint or at least release some insight about their next series.

I would be able to give you more information if we were closer to the purchase date of your new card.

If you want a new GPU right now, buy it. If you want a GPU in about 3 months then I would consider waiting.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 5:03:40 AM

trust me when 700 series or even 800 series comes out some people will tell you to wait because the generation comes after that will be better. maybe it is worth to wait if the next gen will come out in less than 3 months but if you keep playing waiting game in the end you will not buying anything at all.

my advice is just buy the one that most suitable for you at that time and never regret the decision.
m
l
October 1, 2012 5:08:55 AM

renz496 said:
trust me when 700 series or even 800 series comes out some people will tell you to wait because the generation comes after that will be better. maybe it is worth to wait if the next gen will come out in less than 3 months but if you keep playing waiting game in the end you will not buying anything at all.

my advice is just buy the one that most suitable for you at that time and never regret the decision.

I would simply suggest buying a new card that just came out rather than a card that came out almost 5 months ago and the 8000 series/700 series is coming out next year, why not just build up some cash and buy yourself a new card of the series day one?

And this is why I posted "Are you satisfied with your current gaming experience?" If you are not then by all means get the 670, if you can last another year and get a 3 generation upgrade then why the hell not?

I had a 550 ti and upgraded to a 7870, was it worthwhile? HELL YES. Will I be upgrading when the next 8000 series releases? NO!

If you can wait, then wait, if you want that new card around Christmas time, then go for it!
m
l
October 1, 2012 5:18:13 AM

It will very long wait...... so don't, we don't know how it'll priced

Go with 670 or 7870 or 7950... it's better thing to do IMO...

m
l
October 1, 2012 5:35:41 AM

I don't think that the GTX 7xx cards are coming anytime soon. They're probably a good six to nine months off if I was to hazard a guess and that's being optimistic about it. I don't know about you OP, but that makes waiting kinda impractical IMO.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 5:41:42 AM

Yeah i retract my statement i agree with luciferano waiting kinda impractical just get the 670 or a 7970 you'll have no regrets
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 5:55:44 AM

PicoriWarrior said:
Right now im running a gtx 460 SC Evga. im planning on for christmas have my family pitch in to help me get a 670. I was reading before and people said the 700 or 800 series aka maxwell is going to be wayyy better then the 600's series. My question is should i wait or get the 600 series

Just got a 670 EVGA FTW... I'm exceedingly happy with it. With all but one core of my i5-3570K disabled, it was still able to pump out 60 fps in basically every game I own, including Crysis 2. [And no, disabling three quarters of my computing power wasn't intentional - windows wasn't registering them.]
m
l
!