New to ATI videocards. RadeonPro best settings help

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2012 6:35:26 AM

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a hd 7970 3gb to replace my OLD gtx 450 from nvidia. I never had any problems with settings etc with my nvidia card all games would run great and I didnt have to mess around with the settings.

now I have this beast ATI card and I dont know how to control it, I can play battlefield 3 on highest settings with little frame drops always at 60 frames same with crysis 2 no frames lag etc. I even play starcraft 2 on extreme and the frames always are at around 50-60 on huge battles.

But here its my question for some games like minecraft, sexy beach zero batman arkaham city and arma 2 I get bad frames I wouldnt mind getting low frames if it wasnt noticeable but it is . I have downloaded Radeon pro to do global or per game settings for all games but I dont know whats the best settings to have on etc.

there are so many options and I do understand some of them but if you guys could help me save some time what are the best settings for RadeonPro profiles tool?

More about : ati videocards radeonpro settings

October 1, 2012 6:49:16 AM

It's an AMD card, not an ATI(bought by AMD a few years ago) card, first things first. ;) 

Have you updated the drivers?
m
l
October 1, 2012 6:53:12 AM

yes sir all this time I thought ati and amd are same xD thanks for telling me I been going around telling lies and noone till now ever corrected me thanks again.

I had that nvidia card before so i deleted/removed all drivers from nvidia before I installed the amd catayst control center using 12.8 version.

PS idk where the heck I got ATI from...
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:37:34 AM

They used to be known as ATI before being purchased by AMD, so you are in the correct ballpark at least.

First thing I would check would be the antialiasing settings. Full-screen super-sample AA can create a big hit on fps, so make sure you turn it off both in the game and the Catalyst Control Centre.

Also, what is the rest of your system specification?
m
l
October 1, 2012 8:16:41 AM

Herr_Koos said:
They used to be known as ATI before being purchased by AMD, so you are in the correct ballpark at least.

First thing I would check would be the antialiasing settings. Full-screen super-sample AA can create a big hit on fps, so make sure you turn it off both in the game and the Catalyst Control Centre.

Also, what is the rest of your system specification?

would the games still look good? if I turn that stuff off? also I am using RadeonPro has lots of more settings which 90 % of them I have no idea what they mean, or Catayst control center is better?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
8.00 GB ram
SAPPHIRE HD 7970 OC 3GB GDDR5
Windows 7 64bit
m
l
October 1, 2012 8:26:04 AM

I've never used RadeonPro so I can't really comment on that. CCC now also has the capability to create application profiles, and that is what I use. I'm not sure how CCC and RadeonPro would interact with each other.
m
l
October 1, 2012 8:32:50 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I've never used RadeonPro so I can't really comment on that. CCC now also has the capability to create application profiles, and that is what I use. I'm not sure how CCC and RadeonPro would interact with each other.

radeonpro disables/overrides CCC.
but lets say i am using CCC what settings would you have for best quality yet still have good performance? all I need are some pointers on how to set it up, yes I know I can look it up but if you can help me save some time if you already know.
m
l

Best solution

October 1, 2012 8:58:00 AM

It really depends on the resolution you play at, but here some tips that I have found useful:

- Leave Vsync off in CCC; set it to use the application setting.
- If a game supports AA in its settings, then select it there rather than forcing it via the driver.
- If you force AA in the driver, use at most 4x MSAA (multi-sample). This is the sweet spot between quality and performance.
- Anisotropic filtering you should be able to set at 16x for all games.

Hope this helps.
October 11, 2012 4:16:16 PM

Best answer selected by noxturno.
m
l
!