Network Issues for Game Center / Internet Cafe Environment

evergreeneit

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hey,

I am an IT Consultant helping my friend set up his new Game Canter / Internet Cafe here in Washington State.

He is currently using a Cisco E4200 Wireless SOHO router as his router for his 2 server, 12 PC, and 16 Xbox network. He is using TPLink Gigabit Switches (not my preference) throughout the network.

He is having some bandwidth consistency issues with his 50 down / 7 up cable broadband connection. On an average, we are hitting about 3 down by 5 up when testing through speediest.net at the closest server location. At times, it can be as slow as 0.4 down and 2 up.

I find it unusual that his upload is so much higher (and consistent) in comparision to the download bandwidth. I am starting to think that the E4200 SOHO router just isn't going to do the trick.

I have been thinking about setting up his Win Server 2K8 R2 box to run DHCP in place of the E4200 and use the E4200 simply as an access point. The server is now acting as a file share server, domain controller (not actively utilized), and for DNS.

What do you guys think? Do you have any success stories that you would like to share about game center networks that work well.

I am open to suggestions.

Take care,

Drew