Sign in with
Your question

Help Please -- HDMI Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2012 7:10:26 AM

I have a Gateway ZX4931-31e, all in one pc. Windows 7, 64 bit. I recently hooked my computer up to an HDTV with a VGA cable. Now, when I unplugged it and plugged it back up normally, the monitor is called "generic PnP monitor" and the quality is... bad. It looks as if it is standard definition when it was previously 720p [I watched Netflix and downloaded movies in 720p all the time]. I've updated the most current drivers, and done everything I can think of and nothing has worked to get it looking as good as it used to.

Important note: This kind of pc, has a small HDMI cable coming out of the body and plugs directly into the only HDMI port on the pc. Here's a picture.

http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/gatewayzx4931_backp...

Thanks. Help would be invaluable.

More about : hdmi problems

a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:20:42 AM

Just to clarify: Your PC was plugged into a regular monitor, then you plugged it into a TV, then back into the monitor, and now the monitor display appears bad. Correct?

Have you checked whether the resolution has been set back to the native value for the monitor?
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:34:41 AM

It is an all in one pc. The monitor and tower are the same thing. And yes, I have done all of that with resolutions, it works on it's old resolution, 1920x1080. Just the quality... like instead of 720 looks, it looks more like 320...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:41:32 AM

Do you only notice it when watching media, or are the Windows fonts, documents etc also affected?
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:44:10 AM

The only thing that seems to be affected are high resolution backgrounds, and high resolution movies. Which were perfect and crystal clear before I plugged it into the HDTV. Anything thats not high resolution looks fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:50:57 AM

What software do you use for media playback?
m
l
October 1, 2012 8:00:42 AM

I use VLC, if I am answering that question correctly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:10:08 AM

I know this is probably nitpicking a bit, but go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution and look at all the settings again, including the link to Advanced settings.
m
l
!