GPU Temp very high

Hello everyone.
Good to be back here after a long time.

Firstly my system specs :

cpu : intel quad core @ 2.83 ghz

Mobo : Asus p5q pro

Ram : 2gb * 2gb Zion DDr2

GPU : Zotac Nvidia gts 250 eco 1gb ( Got this in replacement for the original a month back )

Psu : 650 w cooler master

hard disk :1 tb seagate

Well its a 3 year old pc now , and lately its having a fury of problems ruining it.

I love my system , i have played games likes Crysis at max Resolutions and settings with Smooth as hell .

But currently its bad times i guess..

Well for the moment , the prob is with my gpu i guess.

System Temperatures : (case Open )

Cpu : 40c idle 50c gaming

Mobo : 35 idle 40 max

gpu : 82 idle 100 under gaming and blackouts . ( this is the problem )

So as i said i was having blackouts during games so i got in a softwares and was amazed to see such high Temperatures .

What can be the reason Guys ??

There is no onboard graphics so i need to get this card back to normal .

Is the card dying ?

Is the mobo at fault ??

I do not have any cooling system or so , i have opened up the case so as to make sure that the situaion doesnt goes worse.

Thanks.
23 answers Last reply
More about temp high
  1. The card might be dusty, blow it out with some compressed air.
  2. You say that this is a replacement card? Did the original show the same symptoms?
  3. The GTS250 is pretty old, and might have some dust in it as stated above.

Also, how do you not have cooling in your case?
  4. Clean the card as suggested.

If it still overheats, check your fan speed at load.
    My old 8800 GTS 640 was stuck on 60% with
    newer drivers. I used MSI Afterburner with
    a custom fan curve to restore the functionality.
  5. Herr_Koos said:
    You say that this is a replacement card? Did the original show the same symptoms?

No the original card never showed any symptons.....it worked flawlessly ....even this card was working good..it has just started off late...
  6. Deemo13 said:
    The GTS250 is pretty old, and might have some dust in it as stated above.

Also, how do you not have cooling in your case?

Well i have tried cleaning up the dust , but as i said , i got this two months back so there isnt much dust on top of it..

i do not think i can clean it off from the inside...
  7. RonKinNJ said:
    Clean the card as suggested.

If it still overheats, check your fan speed at load.
    My old 8800 GTS 640 was stuck on 60% with
    newer drivers. I used MSI Afterburner with
    a custom fan curve to restore the functionality.

Well the fan speed is mostly 80% , but there is no option of increasing the fan speed in the nvidia control panel .

Is there any software that i can use and will it be safe..??
  8. If you are comfortable doing some surgery, remove the heatsink and replace the thermal paste on the GPU chip, same as you would do for a new CPU.
  9. Have you check to see if the fan on the GPU is spinning correctly? Even though the card is not that does not rule out a bat fan.
  10. Easy fix get afterburner and set fan speed with there auto fan speed thingy..
  11. robustus64 said:
    Easy fix get afterburner and set fan speed with there auto fan speed thingy..

Well i tried using msi afterburner but even after that the temp is getting below 78 at idle..
  12. bryonhowley said:
    Have you check to see if the fan on the GPU is spinning correctly? Even though the card is not that does not rule out a bat fan.

The fan is running fine mate ...even set it to 100% but no use..
  13. Herr_Koos said:
    If you are comfortable doing some surgery, remove the heatsink and replace the thermal paste on the GPU chip, same as you would do for a new CPU.

Well i have done that for a CPU myself but i am not sure if i can pull it off for a GPU...
  14. ronnie_mee said:
    Well i have done that for a CPU myself but i am not sure if i can pull it off for a GPU...

Same process. Remove heatsink, clean off old paste, apply new paste, re-attach heatsink.
  15. Herr_Koos said:
    Same process. Remove heatsink, clean off old paste, apply new paste, re-attach heatsink.

well as you said , i removed the heat sink and reapplied the thermal paste .
    Booted it up and i have got a new problem.

Now when i boot up , the gpu fan starts at full speed and goes on untill windows loads . Then it starts slowing down down and untill it stops all together.
    As a result , the initial gpu temperature of 52 c rises up like +1 in 2 seconds and finally goes upto 100+ c .
    I switch it off and start it again after 10 mins and the same process happens.

But if i restart immidately , the temps dnt fall.
  16. Herr_Koos said:

Now when i boot up , the gpu fan starts at full speed and goes on untill windows loads . Then it starts slowing down down and untill it stops all together.
    As a result , the initial gpu temperature of 52 c rises up like +1 in 2 seconds and finally goes upto 100+ c .

17. Herr_Koos said:

18. Are you sure you reconnected the GPU fan correctly?
  19. Herr_Koos said:
    Are you sure you reconnected the GPU fan correctly?

I think i did it correctly , anyways i cross checked it , nothing is blocking the blades n the connector is slotted in the card firmly .
    What i am not able to understand is why it starts off at full speed and then slows down ??
    Can u please explain it ??

And yeah i tried to use Msi afterburner to change fan speed to 100 but Msi cannot modulate speed of the fan .. Weird..
  20. You must have not plugged in the fan correctly then. As it only fits one way, I can't imagine how it could have been placed the other way.
  21. Deemo13 said:
    You must have not plugged in the fan correctly then. As it only fits one way, I can't imagine how it could have been placed the other way.

Well you are right , it can only fit in one way and i did it that way.
    Its absurd , i dont understand why it is running like this...??
  22. Anyone any suggestions please , i just cant get this thing to work guys ??
  23. No, sorry. I would save up for a new card, if I had to choose.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics