Old 2000? computer; need help upgrading

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Greetings;

Not sure this is the right forum - MD: please move if appropriate

I have an old computer that I never got around to recycling. It does not have a hard drive, so I can't fire it up!

I want to use this - if not too much trouble - as a very basic computer to:
a) use as my music server (am digitizing my music library) - want to hook this to my stereo; has to run foobar 2000 or media monkey or similar.

b) use it to watch internet TV (ABC, CBS etc) and Netflix; so it has to run modern Firefox (or IE) - and DVD movies; will hook it up to a newer monitor or TV - don't really need full HD;

That's it!! Basically an audio/video server!

The first question is: how do I determine the motherboard manufacturer/type? the only info I can find on it (yes, I have the case open) is the serial number: AK12987ME11401667

The cpu is an AMD duron: (D750AUT1B; if that means anything)
It has 3 memory slots; 1 memory card 128m; Can I still get memory for this?

what else do you need to know?

Video Card: Inno Vision TNT2 M64 W 32mb

Does not have an ethernet card - can I install a suitable card? will need to handle cable internet access.

It does have 2 USB ports - don't know what type. there are different types - right?

And, of course, I will need a hard drive - any suggestions? should probably be of reasonable size for the music library.

Now, for an operating system. I have disks from my laptop - windows XP. Any reason I couldn't install this as this OS? The disks are from a 2001 laptop.

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance

Kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks o1die

Not sure I'm up for $200 to surf the internet and listen to music. Poked around a little on TigerDirect and looks like I can get a full new pc for < $100 hadn't really considered that - but seems to be the way to go for now!

appreciate your input though - happy holidays

Kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
off lease computers on Tigerdirect, but those are quite slow

since all I want to do is watch videos on the internet via cable, and listen to my music collection - how much speed do I need? Looks like a bargain to me - what am I missing??

thanks in advance

kelly