Does Nokia PC Suite backup SMS messages?

Last response: in Brands
Share
December 25, 2004 4:52:23 PM

It does a full phone backup function, which says it includes 'messages', but
I can't explore the resultant file the backing up process has created. So I
can't check if it's email or SMS or other.
So I have 2 questions:

1: Is it SMS or email, or both, that are backed up?
2: How do you explore the 'nfb' files which contain the backups?

Cheers.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

>1: Is it SMS or email, or both, that are backed up?

At least SMS were backed up from my Nokia 6510.

>2: How do you explore the 'nfb' files which contain the backups?

I've used it once with my Nokia 6510 and as far as I remember, those
files were text files. So you should be able to open them with any
text editor.

Jannar.
December 25, 2004 11:47:53 PM

Jannar Molden wrote:
>> 1: Is it SMS or email, or both, that are backed up?
>
> At least SMS were backed up from my Nokia 6510.

Ah good. That's a promising start.

>> 2: How do you explore the 'nfb' files which contain the backups?
>
> I've used it once with my Nokia 6510 and as far as I remember, those
> files were text files. So you should be able to open them with any
> text editor.

Tried that - they're, as I say 'nfb' files, and cannot be viewed in a normal
text editor. I just get junk.
I'm loathe to truly rely on this and possibly find out SMS aren't backed
up - I'm on a 6230 you see, and I'm not certain the same rules apply.
There must be a proper explorer program which will allow me to examine what
I've backed up. Seems ridiculous that there isn't.

Thanks for your reply.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Related resources
December 25, 2004 11:59:15 PM

Danny wrote:
<snip>

Tried saving as NFC instead and I can now read the file just fine.
Thanks. SMS are indeed saved.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:11:48 AM

Danny wrote:

> It does a full phone backup function, which says it includes 'messages',
> but I can't explore the resultant file the backing up process has created.

Open it with a text editor, remove the alt-255 chars and you'll easily see
them. I have used this function once when I switched phones, and it did not
even restore them, but it also wrote the ones from the original SIM back to
the new SIM (tested by placing the new SIM in a 3330, which can't store
messages in phone memory).

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

Johan Wevers wrote:
> Danny wrote:
>
>> It does a full phone backup function, which says it includes
>> 'messages', but I can't explore the resultant file the backing up
>> process has created.
>
> Open it with a text editor, remove the alt-255 chars

If I open the nfb file, rather than the nfc file, I end up with a file about
12,000 pages long (file size is about 1.5MB if I do a full backup). nfc file
is about 115K and is completely readable.
However, if that still all makes sense, how do I remove, and what are
alt-255 characters?

> and you'll
> easily see them. I have used this function once when I switched
> phones, and it did not even restore them, but it also wrote the ones
> from the original SIM back to the new SIM (tested by placing the new
> SIM in a 3330, which can't store messages in phone memory).

When you say 'did not even' do you mean 'did not only'? Because the way you
put it above it seems to put a negative light on what happened.
Plus I'm not too clear on what you're actually saying - essentially are you
saying it was a successful restore, or a miserable failure?

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 7:47:49 PM

anny wrote:

> If I open the nfb file, rather than the nfc file, I end up with a file
> about 12,000 pages long (file size is about 1.5MB if I do a full backup).
> nfc file is about 115K and is completely readable.

Maybe the nfb file contains the user files (the files in the galery,
ringtones, pictures and photo's)?

> However, if that still all makes sense, how do I remove, and what are
> alt-255 characters?

That depends on your editor.

>> and you'll
>> easily see them. I have used this function once when I switched
>> phones, and it did not even restore them, but it also wrote the ones
>> from the original SIM back to the new SIM (tested by placing the new
>> SIM in a 3330, which can't store messages in phone memory).

> When you say 'did not even' do you mean 'did not only'?

Oops, yes. My error. It did restoren them.

> Plus I'm not too clear on what you're actually saying - essentially
> are you saying it was a succeIt was indeed a succesfull restore.

It was indeed a succesfull restore.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
May 11, 2009 9:43:19 AM

Nfb file is a Nokia PC Suite backup file which can be opened via Noki at www.nokisoft.com. Noki is Nokia backup file parser/reader/extractor. The contacts, text messages, mms, emails and other user files can be extracted and converted.
!