Sign in with
Your question

Repair pci copper/gold? contact pins

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2012 12:50:43 PM

Hello everyone

I recently was doing a case cleaning and noticed that some of my pci contact pins on my video card are cut nearly in half. The pins I am referring to are the ones on the bottom the the card, the ones that actually make contact with the bus itself. The card still works but I was wondering if anyone has any idea how I could repair the pins to prevent any unwanted problems?

the gold pins that make contact with the pci bus in the picture
(used a pic of a wireless card for reference)

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 1:49:12 PM

u dont have to worry about it its finr i use to clean my gt 430 in water with soap and i lose a gold pins too but still the card is working fine dont worry about it
a c 101 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 2:02:04 PM

My first thought would be circuit board repair conductive pen/marker/paint.

I would be more worried about a repair scraping off in the slot(since it is conductive, it may do more harm then anything) when the card is inserted/removed.

If it works, I would just let it be.

Do you have a picture of this half pin.
Related resources
a c 164 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 2:16:22 PM

I've bought cards that had half pins. Can't ever recall seeing any on the GPU however. I don't think you have to worry about it, just treat it gently.

Soap and water? Really?
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 2:20:01 PM

yes i did many times and still my gpu runs like a charm i played many games on it with good fps no problem gt430 2gb ddr3 biostar version i played assassin creed revelation at 1366x768 all low settings
a c 101 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 2:20:17 PM

4745454b said:
Soap and water? Really?

To think I clean contacts with a white eraser.
October 1, 2012 10:38:05 PM

alright I'll just leave it alone for now because it is working, if it ever stops working I guess its just time to upgrade because its a 8800gts 512mb.
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 10:43:23 PM

All PCIe graphics cards have 2 short pins as far as I recall. Maybe more. These are actually short by design.

Click on the picture on this link, and look at the front and back side of the card. You'll notice that there is a short pin on both sides of the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If that is what you noticed on your card, then don't worry, that is by design.
October 2, 2012 12:15:57 AM

bystander said:
All PCIe graphics cards have 2 short pins as far as I recall. Maybe more. These are actually short by design.

Click on the picture on this link, and look at the front and back side of the card. You'll notice that there is a short pin on both sides of the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If that is what you noticed on your card, then don't worry, that is by design.

thanks for the info, I will check next time I pull my video card out.
!