Which Nvidia GPU would you buy?

turboshine

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
I was an Nvidia fan for years, but three years ago I built a system and threw in an XFX-5850. I have been happy with it, but now another new system is sitting in my house that needs a new video card (because I sold my old system).

What scares me is all the posts I am reading about the issues with the GTX 670's, which is primarily what I was looking to buy. I've had good luck in the past with EVGA but it seems the quality isn't what it used to be. I am seriously thinking about the Asus GTX670-DC2 right now but wanted to hear a few opinions.

I mostly play BF3 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X. FSX benefits more from Nvidia drivers and I can use Nvidia Inspector which is why I am leaning towards this. The GTX 680 is too expensive and I worry that I wont be able to crank BF3 up to Ultra @ 1900x1080 if I go with the 660ti.

I have a i7 3770k on an Asus P8Z77-V with 8 GB of Corsair DDR3-1600 and a Corsair HX-650 PSU. No plans to SLI...just looking for a solid single GPU solution. Any advice greatly appreciated!

turboshine

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for quick responses! What do you guys think of these companies no longer offering a longer warranty period? My 5850 and 8800 GTS both had lifetime warranties which is why I chose them. The EVGA 8800 GTS failed after two and a half years and they sent me a refurb card which worked until I sold the system.

It makes me wonder if the MTBF is reduced now due to cost cutting. Some of the GTX 570's I have seen on Newegg still have the Lifetime Warranties available.

I doubt that any company has a current, consistently reproduced issue with any of their cards. Any issues with cards around their initial release have been sorted out and corrected by now.

In terms of quality, there are standard reference quality components and then there are those cards with upgraded components. All manufacturers are required to meet at least the reference standard. If you have a question of quality, go for the EVGA Signature or FTW series, or the non-reference Asus, MSI, Zotac, or Galaxy brands.

turboshine

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks Matto. The Asus card I was looking at (GTX670-DC2-2GD5) was discontinued after only four months of production. Now I am looking at an ASUS GTX670-DC2 but don't want to get stuck in RMA hell. Kind of leaning towards AMD again after reading all the problems people are still having with the 670s.

Don't buy the reference models, go with MSI or Asus that has a custom design and one that doesn't use the standard ferrite R22 rated inductors. If you get a custom model then the problems will only be software and architecture related. Kepler in general is far from perfect but it still plays the games.

Mainly some coil squeal, crashing, and general stability. Sometimes lack of any decent overclocking such as being limited to as little as 30mhz over the stock like the 680.

turboshine

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
I just pulled the trigger on this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

Too many complaints about the 670's and even the 660 ti's after three or four months of use. As much as I wanted to go back to Nvidia, price and a lifetime warranty won me over.

My AMD 5850 that I've had for three years never failed...my last Nvidia card did fail. Thanks for all the advice...time will tell if I made the right decision.

$240's not bad, but it's a significant step down from a 670 and even a 660 Ti in BF3.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx_660ti_roundup_asus_msi_galaxy/9.htm