First Ever PC build!

Hey, i'm looking to build my first pc, for gaming, and wanted to check if these parts are compatible, advice for parts i haven't chosen yet, and if i could lower the price somehow without compromising too much on gaming performance / get a better gpu and lower other parts.

Keep in mind I live in New Zealand and have to buy parts from here.

Approximate Purchase Date: 4 weeks approx

Budget Range: trying to get under NZD$1600-1700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Windows 7)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: PB Technologies

Parts Preferences: Intel cpu, dont mind between Nvidia and Amd gpu

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Too get the superior pc gaming experience :p

Parts i have chosen (Open to be changed)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $315.00
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $56.35
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $199.00
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $85.00
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $139.00
Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $159.00
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card $389.85
Case: Thermaltake VN900A1W2N (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $115.39
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $35.42
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor $299.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $151.38
Mouse: Razer Deathadder $80 +/-
Keyboard: Unchosen
Total $$1944.39

D:

Is there anyway I can lower the price more without compromising gaming performance too much?
I would not like to go below the 7870 in performance, and trying to get around 60fps on medium-high settings in games like BF3 :)

Also, i will be playing games like BF3, Crysis 3, Borderlands 2, Elder scrolls MMO, and Path of Exile.

Thanks for any help! :D
12 answers Last reply
More about first build
  1. you will get all high and mostly ultra with that card. The easiest way to cut down the price would be get rid of an ssd, the aftermarket cooler, and get an I5 3330, or something like that.
  2. The HD7870 is a good choice.
    I did not see a PSU in that build. If it is included with the Thermaltake case, I would question its quality. You'll only need 500W for that build. I'd suggest Seasonic, Antec, or FSP. Avoid non-Seasonic-built Corsair, CM, and anything not 80+ EXCEPT the Antec VP-series, which is good (and efficient; disqualified from 80+ because they don't have Active PFC).
    You might be spending more than necessary on the monitor. I have an Acer 21.5" LED monitor which I strongly prefer over my 23" Asus traditionally backlit LCD monitor. It was only $130 USD when I bought it; I'm not sure what your price would be, but I'd hope somewhat less than $300.
  3. Thanks for the replies :)
    Zsu, i would like to keep the ssd, even if its just for the boot drive. Also, if i dropped the 3570k and the 212 evo, and instead got the 3330, is it still a nice cpu for gaming?
    Onus, yeah i havn't chosen a psu because i kind of had no idea about what one to get. Heres the pcpartpicker link (http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/parts/partlist/), if you could choose one off of there it would be helpful. I also live in New Zealand, hence why the monitor is so expensive.
  4. Yes that i5 will still be a good gaming cpu. You won't be able to oc, but it will not bottleneck any current gpu, especially the ones in your price range. If you will only use the ssd as a boot drive, just get a 64gb ssd.
  5. http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/p/plyT
    So something along the lines of this? I chose the 3470 over the 3330 because it is only $5 more. Oh and because i am not going to over clock the cpu, do i need the asrock z77? But i will probably still over clock the 7870 if it needs to be, so will i still need the z77 for that?
  6. No, you won't need z77. The 3470 would probably be a better decision. But there won't be a very big difference, it any.
  7. ok thanks :D . What mobo do you recommend?
  8. Probably a b75 mobo.
  9. ok, will that be future proofed, like if i wanted to upgrade my cpu in a few years would it allow for over clocking or not
  10. I think it could overclock, but not very well, there would be locked multipliers I believe. Maybe look at p67? those are cheaper than z77 I think.
  11. Ok thanks. Any recommendations on a keyboard ? A mechanical will push me out of my budget
  12. I've never had reliability problems with Microsoft or Logitech keyboards, so that's what I get for generic builds. For gaming, I have a Saitek Eclipse that's been working well for the last couple of years.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems