Sign in with
Your question

AMD 7000 series Universally defected????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2012 6:53:34 PM

After working perfectly for about 1 month, my two month old HIS 7850 IceQ X started crashing for no reason at random times (Using youtube, opening folders, Editing videos and also while opening normal programs). It is going worse day by day and today it cant even play a video for 1 sec without crashing.

A quick google search made me realize that many people are having such issues with there 7000 series card especially 7850 (search 7850 vertical lines or 7850 gray screen of death) and brand does not matter, it can be asus, gigabyte , sapphire or like in my case HIS. And crashes occur in identical manner. Screen freezes and then either becomes plane solid color or becomes a pattern of vertical lines AND the only option that is left for user is to hard shut down.

Screen shot of vertical stripes screen : http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/ManpreetSingh...

Screen shot of solid color screen : http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/ManpreetSingh...

NOTE : colors of both of the above mention examples can vary. In my case either of these screen can be white, grey, blue, green and even brownish red.

So how many of you are having these issues and if you found any method to solve it please post.
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:00:09 PM

I've had my 7870 since March and haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood).
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:01:41 PM

rma is the best one
Related resources
October 1, 2012 7:02:38 PM

aicom said:
I've had my 7870 since March and haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood).

Good for you, I wish I would have same experience with my 7850
October 1, 2012 7:04:33 PM

scout_03 said:
rma is the best one

I want to RMA mine but HIS is non existent in my country and there warranty terms are more of a mystery thriller story than warranty terms.
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:14:56 PM

check where you bought her if they could help you on that
October 1, 2012 7:21:53 PM

scout_03 said:
check where you bought her if they could help you on that

Doing exactly that but they only had 30 days replacement policy which is over by now still they said they have contacted their tech team to look into the matter.

But I am still disappointed not because its dying but because the reason of its sudden death is still unknown. And to make the situation more weird, my hdd also started dying the same day as my GPU - 1sept ( but it has been replaced by Western Digital, thanks to there awesome service, HIS should learn from them.) I don't know if it was a coincidence or something is wrong in my system.
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:27:34 PM

then i would check your psu if it not over powering the system
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:30:04 PM

I agree with scout, check out your PSU with a multimeter if you know how. Make sure your 12V supply is 12V+- .5V
October 1, 2012 7:48:13 PM

scout_03 said:
then i would check your psu if it not over powering the system

My PSU is Seasonic s12 620w. I would arrange a multimeter and check it out, nut honestly I am 99% sure its GPU not PSU because so many people has reported these same issues on same card. And I personally think my card is getting less power not more. I started GPU-Z and started a video at the same time, I saw memory went to its full limit (1200) but before I could see core clock and voltage PC Crashed with a solid white screen.

Similarly, after reading a similar thread here, I decided to increase my idle clocks without increasing voltage with gpu tweak but as soon as I clicked save, system crashed and I had to reinstall windows. May be somehow my gpu is not getting required power when clocks go up.
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 7:56:41 PM

you gave me a idea check if the power cable on the grahic card are holding in place could be a loose connector on the power
October 1, 2012 8:00:12 PM

scout_03 said:
you gave me a idea check if the power cable on the grahic card are holding in place could be a loose connector on the power

Actually the cable there is so tight that I left my idea of resetting the card because it looked like it could break if used force
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:05:59 PM

check if there are not to tight and pulling the card or make her bend and put stress on the pcb of the card and break something
October 1, 2012 8:15:08 PM

scout_03 said:
check if there are not to tight and pulling the card or make her bend and put stress on the pcb of the card and break something

I don't think thats the case but there are two cables connected to mb which are touching gpu cable However, they are not naked so I am not sure if that could cause any issue.
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:16:01 PM

You will have to rebuild the card if you want to get it working since there is no RMA in your part of the world. The inductors are terrible on the HIS and XFX model. Some Nvidia cards used the same type of inductors and they had similar issues like the pink screen of death ect. Each inductor helps provide a little burst of power after the main caps and when they fail they often short out enough to break the circuit so no current can pass. With each phase that gets cut off the worse the problem gets. You can reuse the inductors from off another card or mainboard but they have to be with in a certain range. R30 should work that are of the more usual design, like a cube but the outside is of a hard plastic and sometimes ferrite but it is all one piece. The coil inside uses a much thicker grade wire and when they go bad at least they don't completely die.

Since there is likely not enough space under the cooler you might have to run wires :s
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:20:29 PM

those are plain cable to power the board with rubber shield that ok
October 1, 2012 8:32:13 PM

nforce4max said:
You will have to rebuild the card if you want to get it working since there is no RMA in your part of the world. The inductors are terrible on the HIS and XFX model. Some Nvidia cards used the same type of inductors and they had similar issues like the pink screen of death ect. Each inductor helps provide a little burst of power after the main caps and when they fail they often short out enough to break the circuit so no current can pass. With each phase that gets cut off the worse the problem gets. You can reuse the inductors from off another card or mainboard but they have to be with in a certain range. R30 should work that are of the more usual design, like a cube but the outside is of a hard plastic and sometimes ferrite but it is all one piece. The coil inside uses a much thicker grade wire and when they go bad at least they don't completely die.

Since there is likely not enough space under the cooler you might have to run wires :s

You just scared me even more, so if I manage to get a replacement, should I sell it and buy same card of some other brand? Which brand do you prefer?
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:41:22 PM

I would sell it and hunt down an MSI model. Just make sure that it has the mid plate and you can look along the side of the card to see if it is there. It does stick out and is painted black. The top of it looks like what xfx used to do with that spine. It will cool the vram and power vrm while keeping the card from sagging overtime :) 
October 1, 2012 8:50:15 PM

scout_03 said:
did you try that for your card http://www.hisdigital.com/un/support-34.shtml

Yeah but the problem is last time I checked, their warranty policy said that product must be sent to China or Taiwan and shipping charges will be paid by customer for both sending and recieving the product And finally they will not replace it or refund but just repair it.

Plus I read some true horror stories about people who have experienced their 'Support'.
October 1, 2012 8:54:58 PM

manpreet66 said:
You just scared me even more, so if I manage to get a replacement, should I sell it and buy same card of some other brand? Which brand do you prefer?

Personally I would use a MSI, gigabyte or asus card.

I had a xfx 5770 worked fine but.. temps got up to 90C after about a year, open my case up to find the cards cover had pretty much fallen off and there was a *** load of dust..*** plastic.. my msi 7850 is nice and all metal :) 
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:58:28 PM

manpreet66 said:
Yeah but the problem is last time I checked, their warranty policy said that product must be sent to China or Taiwan and shipping charges will be paid by customer for both sending and recieving the product And finally they will not replace it or refund but just repair it.

Plus I read some true horror stories about people who have experienced their 'Support'.

Yikes now that will scare off anyone especially with the expense of shipping overseas and the chances that it can get lost. If you do ship see if you can get USPS with tracking as they are usually better than other shippers.
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 8:59:13 PM

well if you need a new card buy one that you could have support from her maker in your country from a well known brand
October 1, 2012 9:06:11 PM

This issue is probably caused by the voltages, of course. You are correct, its not your PSU, its waaay more probably because of the lack of quality (a well known fact with powercolor) of the power modulation, bad circuitry engineering or deffective capacitors on the card.
October 1, 2012 9:07:17 PM

nforce4max said:
Yikes now that will scare off anyone especially with the expense of shipping overseas and the chances that it can get lost. If you do ship see if you can get USPS with tracking as they are usually better than other shippers.

I am not going to ship it overseas just for a repaired card. Instead, if my vendor refuses replacement I will contact the importer company, have heard about there good service. So I am not completely hopeless. But I am missing a lot of my projects now. Whole last month was spent troubleshooting the PC and things have just got worse. Screw HIS. I wish I had read there ''warranty'' Policies before the purchase.
October 1, 2012 9:10:46 PM

scout_03 said:
well if you need a new card buy one that you could have support from her maker in your country from a well known brand

That needs money which I currently don't have. And to make the things worse, everything here related to computers is 10 time more expensive than USA and similar countries.
a c 84 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 9:10:47 PM

lol where the hell do you live?
October 1, 2012 9:11:57 PM

Kari said:
lol where the hell do you live?

India
a c 84 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 9:17:20 PM

manpreet66 said:
India

We had a plane change in Mumbai once, pure chaos..... :whistle: 
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:28:17 AM

i wish you good luck for this hope the the seller or the importer give you satisfaction (salutations from québec)
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:59:53 AM

manpreet66 said:
India

You may as well be on a desert island :??: 
October 2, 2012 7:08:47 AM

scout_03 said:
i wish you good luck for this hope the the seller or the importer give you satisfaction (salutations from québec)

thanks.
October 2, 2012 7:12:43 AM

nforce4max said:
You may as well be on a desert island :??: 

Being on a desert island still sounds better than having HIS as the manufacturer of your only Graphics Card.
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 7:49:43 AM

Why you go Nvidia....
October 2, 2012 8:28:28 AM

amuffin said:
Why you go Nvidia....

You mean why did not I go Nvidia? Thats because the best Nvidia card in my budget was 560 ti, which performance wise is inferior to 7850. Next best Nvidia card available at the time was 570 which out of my budget. And at the time 7850 did not have any bad reviews.
October 2, 2012 9:41:18 AM

jordan009 said:
Personally I would use a MSI, gigabyte or asus card.

I had a xfx 5770 worked fine but.. temps got up to 90C after about a year, open my case up to find the cards cover had pretty much fallen off and there was a *** load of dust..*** plastic.. my msi 7850 is nice and all metal :) 

What I stated earlier is looking to be true. The problem is not brand exclusive. This problem is happening with MSI as well as all every other brands.

Here is just one example of this, someone having same problem as me in just 2 weeks of purchase on HIS MSI 7850 : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1169497-vertical-gr...

Believe it or not but AMD fucked up somewhere this time.
October 2, 2012 10:30:43 AM

This is kinda concerning.... is there any evidence this is not just the typical small % going wrong which is to be expected with everything but is actually higher than normal fault rates?
October 2, 2012 10:42:02 AM

mathmo said:
This is kinda concerning.... is there any evidence this is not just the typical small % going wrong which is to be expected with everything but is actually higher than normal fault rates?

I am sure its serious, just 36 minutes ago one more person reported same issue on official 7850 forum, he has a gigabyte oc edition LINK: http://www.overclock.net/t/1231670/official-the-amd-rad...
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 11:26:41 AM

manpreet66 said:
Here is a video of the crash, by someone else and he has posted the links to other victims as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkzOWRgwfaA

I still believe that the problem is power related to only the cards, bad inductors and overheated mosfets is almost always to blame for crash issues as well bad drivers.
October 2, 2012 11:32:30 AM

nforce4max said:
I still believe that the problem is power related to only the cards, bad inductors and overheated mosfets is almost always to blame for crash issues as well bad drivers.

But who is to be blamed for that- AMD or secondary Manufacturers?
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 2:40:02 PM

HIS doesnt have any service center in mumbai ? where did you buy the card from? flipkart ? i have a malfaunctioning sapphire 5450 and am also having problem getting it repaired. am from mumbai too.
October 2, 2012 5:57:13 PM

Finally, after contacting my online vendor they told me about the nearest branch of the importer which also happens to be HIS authorised service center. Now I hope I will get the replacement as soon as possible.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:07:13 PM

please follow my thread..i have somewhat same issue as yours with same HIS ICQ X 7850 (Recently purchased and having problem since day 1)..

please take a look if you can help me..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/372341-33-hd7850-havi...

its really annoying..i think you are from india right???
if so there is only one authorized dealer of HIS..and RMA department is at colcata ..i returned my gpu at service center to RMA department,, they sent the same card back telling me that no problem with my gpu ..so hope it will turn good for you :) 
dont know now what should i do .....

do tell me how it ends.... :bounce: 
October 2, 2012 6:13:32 PM

mohit9206 said:
HIS doesnt have any service center in mumbai ? where did you buy the card from? flipkart ? i have a malfaunctioning sapphire 5450 and am also having problem getting it repaired. am from mumbai too.

Yes From Flipkart. I am from Jalandhar, is your card from HIS? Flipkart told me that Tirupati enterprises are HIS's authorised service centers. So find a branch of Tirupati enterprises and go there they will entertain your request, I am sure they have atleast one branch in Mumbai on the other hand I will have to make trip to Chandigarh.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:16:42 PM

manpreet66 said:
Yes From Flipkart. I am from Jalandhar, is your card from HIS? Flipkart told me that Tirupati enterprises are HIS's authorised service centers. So find a branch of Tirupati enterprises and go there they will entertain your request, I am sure they have atleast one branch in Mumbai on the other hand I will have to make trip to Chandigarh.

please follow my thread..i have somewhat same issue as yours with same HIS ICQ X 7850 (Recently purchased and having problem since day 1)..

if so there is only one authorized dealer of HIS..and RMA department is at colcata ..i returned my gpu at service center to RMA department,, they sent the same card back telling me that no problem with my gpu ..so hope it will turn good for you :) 

a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:26:09 PM

manpreet66 said:
My PSU is Seasonic s12 620w. I would arrange a multimeter and check it out, nut honestly I am 99% sure its GPU not PSU because so many people has reported these same issues on same card. And I personally think my card is getting less power not more. I started GPU-Z and started a video at the same time, I saw memory went to its full limit (1200) but before I could see core clock and voltage PC Crashed with a solid white screen.

Similarly, after reading a similar thread here, I decided to increase my idle clocks without increasing voltage with gpu tweak but as soon as I clicked save, system crashed and I had to reinstall windows. May be somehow my gpu is not getting required power when clocks go up.

have you checked pci e frequency in bios???is it normal (100Hz) or higher you should check it as you said your hdd also died..its mostly beacuse of your pci e frequency is unstable
October 2, 2012 6:26:14 PM

docxxx said:

Well flipkart told me if there is any problem claiming warranty, I can tell them. I hope eveything goes smooth and quick, it has already been more than a month since I could use my pc properly.

BTW, wher are you from, you visited Kolkata or shipped it?

!