Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
hi guys,
i have a radeon 6850 1GB video card, which runs bf3 great! but,
whenever i turn on ultra i got stutter that goes bad over time (it's start as micro-stutter and ends with huge-unplayable stutter.
after the stutter occurs the only way too stop it is to re-join the server and switch to high before it starts.
well, i got this mostly with textures and shadows on ultra, also AA on 4x.
i found out that this has something to do with the fact that i have 1GB vram or something like that.
is there anyway to fix this?
here's the rest of my specs:
fx-4100 OC'd to 4.2
4GB ram
550 psu
win. 7 64bit
btw, this doesn't occur on singleplayer.
thanks in advanced! :p

mace200200

Honorable
Micro stuttering usually happens when it can't pull information off the hard drive fast enough. My hard drive is slow and I have problems like that just in different games. I don't play bf3 so I'm not sure if having only one gig would cause it to do that. I do know this though, my friend plays it on his 6770 which is two or three steps below your 6850, and his doesn't like to go up much past high. That's all I can really tell you, but someone else will have a real answer for you :D

cbrunnem

Distinguished
1gb is more then enough at 1080p or below. i max EVERYTHING and hit 950mb vram average. it might hit 1000 occasionally but that still leave 24mb left so its not vram that is your problem unless you have a higher resolution then 1080p.

also with one 6950 i can even play ultra at 1080p so with a 6850 dont expect to be able to play ultra unless you are at a lower resolution.

Could be you are running out of VRAM and that is causing stuttering. BF3 can use more than 1GB on ultra settings, especially with the AA cranked up. You can use MSI Afterburner to monitor your VRAM usage. If it's going above 1024MB, then you are exceeding your card's framebuffer, and that will cause a stuttering effect as the extra data has to go to the system RAM, which is slower than the RAM on your graphics card.

If you are exceeding 1GB of VRAM usage, all you can do is turn some settings down, or buy a new video card with more than 1GB of RAM. Try switching the AA to FXAA, that is much less demanding on the GPU and VRAM than MSAA.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
thanks. also, about the res, i'm playing on 1280x1024, so... yeah..
but, if you say that a 1440x900 monitor might do the trick, can anybody recommend on a cheap one that has HDMI? i was looking for a new monitor anyway.
thanks for the quick replies guys!

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
a HD 6850 on MP can't do Ultra only HIGH and no AA

Edit: also to everyone saying a FX can't do ultra

b3acproz641.png

i play on 64mp on ultra and get 55-60FPS w/o AA and get dips in the 40s

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Vram...as simple as that.

I have 560s in sli and I can not crank up AA without the frame rates going crazy and to low to play. 560 x 2 is like having a gtx 580 that cant run AA.

Just turn AA down. I use FXAA as a filler.

FXAA is vendor agnostic if the game has it. In BF3 it's called Post Processing AA or something like that. It will work on AMD or Nvidia. The only Nvidia exclusive FXAA is the option to force FXAA in games that don't have it built in with the Nvidia Control Panel.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
so wait, with a 1440x900 res i could run bf3 on ultra or not? if yes, then can anybody recommend a monitor?
also what's FXAA?
i know i should downgrade the AA and turn it off, but the textures still give me stutter.

you probably can but down grading monitors isnt that ideal.

fx aa is like a very fast version of AA. not the best quality but at least its aa.

there isnt too much of a difference between high and ultra from what i saw

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
ok so i did what you said (no FXAA but i turned the MSAA off) and i still get stutter whenever i put the textures on ultra! i'v noticed this doesn't happen to other 6850, so i'm quit confused.
anybody can help me?

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Get msi afterburner...have it show gpu ram use....then open BF3 and set it so you can see your frame rates. (`render.drawfps 1). Set things to high and slowly go down the list making things ultra. Play and check gpu use and frame dipps. You should be able to get a mix of high/ultra settings. Under 1 gig of gpu ram tho...you can not max out AA.

I use FXAA and it is not a good. It is better than nothing but it is not as good.