Want to help me build a PC?

Dreakon

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hi all,

I'm following the template in the sticky, but I just wanted to start by saying I'm kind of new to PC building. I did it a decent amount before, but things I used to know have become obsolete (like AGP video cards lol) and I really don't know where the PC world has gone since then. I'm not sure what brands are on top or what's really needed for a functional gaming PC these days, whats overkill, what are potential bottlenecks, etc.

I appreciate any help, and please bare with me if I'm annoyingly novice when it comes to this.

Approximate Purchase Date: I'd love to answer this but when I purchase this will depend on when I have everything I need figured out. In the next week or two?

Budget Range: $1000, Before Rebates, After Shipping. A little over is okay but that's where I'm aiming. I'm guessing that should be enough to play just about anything out there, but games with higher requirements would need the graphics toned down a bit (but still playable).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is the most important, though it will be used for my day to day web surfing, video watching and whatnot. Remoting into my work PC as well.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade: I want to build a new one from scratch. So... all parts?

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but for the purposes of this I'm not including it in the $1000 budget. Just going to get some fancy version of Windows 8.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg most likely, they've never steered me wrong yet.

Parts Preferences: I don't have a preference really. I guess Intel has never really done me wrong. I used to like ATI a lot but I'm willing to go Nvidia or either way depending on what brands are on top these days.

Overclocking: No. Don't care for it.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. I'd say No as it's not a priority for this, but it'd be nice to be able to upgrade if needed. If that's possible...

Your Monitor Resolution: Not entirely sure, the monitor I intend to use is my brothers, it's not here at the moment and it's currently not in use... it's widescreen?

Additional Comments: A quieter PC would be nice, but since I'd like this to be a mid-high end PC... I don't expect it to be entirely possible. I'm also aiming to be a little energy friendly in building this, if possible.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not upgrading, I would love to learn more about computers and this is a great way to do it I think.

I hope this is alright, I'm still pretty green to this so I apologize if my answers are lacking in detail. I appreciate any help!

Nuclear101

Honorable
Dear Dreakon,

Here is a custom parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/plkL

Overview:

1. I5-2500k, runs much cooler than new Ivy Bridges
2. 16 GB of fast memory
3. 1 TB hard drive
4. Really good video card
5. Good looking budget case (side panel, usb 3.0)
6. Modular and 80 plus Bronze certified power supply
7. Cheap DVD burner (rarely anyone uses them except for OS)
8. Gaming keyboard and mouse
9. Windows 8 Professional

Sorry if its something like $1075 without OS or monitor.

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

16 gigs? Only if you are video editing. Not a 550 ti for 1000 bucks. An antec power supply. That build is in general awful. Here - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-benchmark,3276.html
Much better for 1000.

Dreakon

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

That computer is pretty sexy, this site is a great resource for this sort of thing. :D

Just taking that build into mind...
1. ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance - Sounds like this doesn't support the Core i5 out of the box. Has that changed? Not having an extra processor on hand to get it updated as needed... does anyone have any ideas of an alternative motherboard that does support everything out of the box? I don't mind spending a little more on a good motherboard.

2. Corsair CX600 V2 - Is this good? From my limited past experience in building PC's, the power supply is kind of important. I don't mind splurging a little bit on it if it means the PC will be more stable.

3. OCZ Agility 3 AGT-25SAT3-60G 60 GB - What is SSD? What's it used for? Lol...

Everything else looks good to me (especially those frame rates in Battlefield 3 and Skyrim!). A lovely ~$1000 PC.

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

1. You just need to update the bios.

2. The power supply is fine, but I would get a seasonic imo. The cx series is the more budget based power supply, meaning it won't lest as long. Seasonic in my experience is better quality and actually makes some of corsairs power supplys. (Not the cx series though.) If you don't mind paying a little more - http://tinyurl.com/cqm5kog Ensure that your power supply has proper cables for the video card.

3. The ssd is A LOT faster then a hard drive. Use it to put on your os and your most used programs. once again, I would recommend something different, like a samsung or crucial m4. Hope this helps. However, you'd probably like the ocz, but their rma is a little... meh. And keep in mind all ssds die quicker then hard drives.

Dreakon

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Wouldn't I need a supported processor to get the PC up and running enough to download/update the bios?

Thanks for all the advice! Seriously! This kept me up until like 2am last night just looking/researching. Any more advice people want to throw onto the pile is certainly appreciated!

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Any sandy bridge or ivy bridge processor will will work, like I said said before, as long as you update the bios. Or alternatively, you can get a z77 mobo that supports ivy and sandy bridge processors out of the box.

Dreakon

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Hmm... I guess I would need to buy a cheap one just to get the bios updated then switch it back.

Out-of-the-box support sounds like a nice alternative. Any suggestions regarding a good Z77 motherboard within roughly the same price range as the ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Based on availability, I made a few tweaks to what the article above suggested. I'm still curious about alternatives for the motherboard as well... however, I decided to just whip up a shopping list just to get an idea of pricing and availability and stuff. Odds are I won't be pulling the trigger on much of it until I know a few more things for certain.

Pretty sure most of the key pieces are there. I've excluded the SSD since it seems a little redundant alongside a 1TB hard drive, especially if they have a shorter life... but I could very easily be wrong. Anyone with better knowledge and insight than myself want to criticize it? :)

SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB
$17.99

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$79.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$79.99

Galaxy 67NPH6DV6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$419.99

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$89.99

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995
$39.99

ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$109.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
$219.99

XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included dual fan push pull compatible
$24.99

Subtotal: $1,069.91

EDIT: Updating based on items that become sold out, or just because I'm continuing to do research and making tweaks.

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Great build, but i would recommend the evga ftw 670 video card. If anything goes wrong, their rma service is unbeatable. While it does use a reference cooler, it's the 680's reference cooler, which is a bit better. May I also recommend a western digital hard drive? They seem to be a bit better in quality (Lasts longer). Everything else is top notch, that mobo is unbeatable for the price. (Comes with usb 3.0 unlike the P67), just be prepared for some bloatware.