First build, Compatibility question and rating.

bl3a5ck

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardware peoples.
I've always wanted to build a Mid-high gaming PC but I never had the money or the time, now that I do, I've been going around forums and comparing parts and what not and I came up with this build.
What I want is that you guys can give me feedback on my build and tell me If everything is compatible with each other and also if it's compatible for crossfiring in the future and overclocking?
please & thank you.
sincerely,
noobynoobpcbuilder (not real username)
here is the build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL800P1W2N (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Asus makes GREAT motherboards... for high price points. In the budget realm, they get their pants beat off them by the Asrock Extreme 4 and the Gigabyte z77x-ud3h. Go with one of them.

The ripjaws series has tall heatspreaders. Shouldn't be an issue with an atx motherboard, but you might want to get low profile ram anyways.

Only get 750 watts if you plan on going crossfire at some point. If you don't, you only need 550w or so.

That being said, someone did their homework. This is a VERY well thought out build, and will work great together. (At 1080p, you should be getting older games all on ultra, and new games close to it.) Only one thing. Where's the SSD?

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend a 128GB ssd to install your OS, applications, and most frequently used games on. The difference is like night and day. If you do this, I'd go with brands in this order: Samsung 840 PRO / 830, OCZ Vertex 4, Intel 520, Samsung 840 non-pro, Crucial m4, Intel 330, OCZ Agility 4.

g-unit1111

Titan
The ripjaws series has tall heatspreaders. Shouldn't be an issue with an atx motherboard, but you might want to get low profile ram anyways.

The issue lies with aftermarket coolers, not with the motherboard.

Only get 750 watts if you plan on going crossfire at some point. If you don't, you only need 550w or so.

Having more wattage than you need doesn't hurt. Having too few watts does.

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend a 128GB ssd to install your OS, applications, and most frequently used games on. The difference is like night and day. If you do this, I'd go with brands in this order: Samsung 840 PRO / 830, OCZ Vertex 4, Intel 520, Samsung 840 non-pro, Crucial m4, Intel 330, OCZ Agility 4.

SSDs are indeed great but depending on the budget I'd skip them - you can always add one later on. Intel SSDs suck though, there's better choices you could go with. The Vertex 4 is better than the Agility 4.

bl3a5ck

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hey guys!, thanks for the comments! I really appreciate it.
In terms of Motherboard options, are Asus really overpriced and Will only offer me the same features that I can get from an Asrock or a Gigabyte mobo?
and responding to ur SSD suggestion, for me personally I think SSDs are more of a luxury than a necessity...I can buy one down the road and alternatively put that extra $90 or so onto the purchase of quality parts.
And for the PSU, if you read my op you'll see that I'm planning to crossfire AND overclock in the future! So I was afraid it might be on the weaker side? What do you guys think?
And finally! THE CASE it's an AMD Scorpious platform themed thermal take case...at first I liked the color and the case design and the scorpion on the side was a huge plus UNTIL I did my research and I knew what the scorpion meant, haha so honestly im definitely not going with that case so any case suggestions? Preferably a two-toned red and black case?!! That will be extremely appreciated guys! Thanks for your time! :D