Free up memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Does anyone know of a tool or a command that free's up memory that isn't being used anymore on Windows 7, similar to the purge command in terminal on a Mac? Thanks for the help guys.

Does anyone know of a tool or a command that free's up memory that isn't being used anymore on Windows 7

This demonstates a total lack of understanding of how windows addresses RAM. There is never any need to run such a program, as the RAM is either being used by an actively running program, or is avaliable to be used by another program and its contents will be written to disk if the space is needed by another running program. If a program closes, all its addressed RAM becomes free.

There is never any need to "recover RAM" in any modern OS.

in windows when a program runs it request memory to be allocated for it to use. so if you want to free up memory it is best to stop the unneeded programs.
click start > run > tpye "msconfig" (without the quotes)
click on the startup tab uncheck the things you dont need running on startup
do not worry most stuff will start up when you need it by double clicking the icon.
when your done click apply and reboot
after the reboot you should get a message that some services have been stopped at startup just click the check box "not to show message agian"
also more advaced option use with caution
start > control panel >administrator tools >services
turn unwanted services off please review the description in the right hand pane and google anything your not sure of i would reccomend turning services to manual rather then off unless your sure you wont need them. hope this helps

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

This reply, while demonstrating knowledge that I do appreciate gamerk316 sharing with me, also demonstrates the personality and people skills of a bottle of bleach. I obviously had no understanding, never claimed to, and as a result, decided to ask folks who were probably more knowledgeable than myself. Thus prompting this post. Did you notice that the other people who replied just answered without being rude, or trying to come off like they're teaching? They have good communication skills. You could learn a thing or two from those guys, my friend. Thanks for your help, though.

achillezz

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013

Absolutely right, the gamerk316 guy sounds like an obnoxious goof off. Further, I'm not convinced that he is right. I'm seeing on my Win7 system that if I run a program that leaks memory (like firefox) that memory seems to be completely lost. A memory manager, or at least a cleaner is needed in this case to re-obtain the leakaged memory. This is probably a bug in the Win7 system but this is not a great surprise... after all it is Windows.

Steven Noyb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
Windows 7 itself can also use up massive amounts of memory, Google it if you care to find out others who have had that problem. The fact is windows will use up that memory for it's own search (access) points. I think a good memory program is needed, I used to have one for xp but that was years ago. I don't even remember the name of that program. I have yet to find a good one for windows 7. I believe it is harder for people to "self-manage" their own ram because of the way 7 operates.

boostashooting

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

That's demonstrate a totaly unknowinf of the windows environnement.
pure Example : at the fresh start of my 7, everything is good ( video, photoshop, everything...) ,after more than 2 days without rebooting, after several hours of photoshop, google chrome and more, AND EVEN AFTER CLOSE EVERYTHING ( eg : process and childrend process ) my video, my photoshop after relaunch, is just a purely shit ( slower, lagginf of sound and more) so stop saying win7 release memory, that's a pur lie

aqualunng

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Originally posted and deleted 09-29-2013, 2200:
Re-posted as a reply to: homiedontrightclick question posted: February 23, 2012 12:03:44 PM

this works for me
1. Right click on an empty spot on your desktop and select New -> Shortcut.
2. Type: “%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks” in the box.
3. Click Next.
4. Give your shortcut a nice name like “Clear Memory”.
5. Click Finish and you’re done.
Now whenever your computer starts running slow click this shortcut to clear out your memory
and get your computer running at a normal pace again
use at your own risk!

I found this offered solution here:
http://fixmywin.com/how-to-clear-your-memory-without-restarting-your-windows/

PS: using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Papagali

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Hear, hear.
Well spoken, dear Sir.

drak

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

While the belief that a "modern OS" has no need to recover ram, there are unfortunately programs that have memory leaks and ram recovery is necessary unless you would like to reboot because some program is gobbling up the workstation resources.

The day that an OS and the software that is used becomes "perfect" will probably be the day we should start looking for "SkyNet", and hope to hell someone has a kill/abort switch........ THAT WORKS!

With that said "aqualunng" has provide the means that is built into Windows to recover ram...... for free!

maxfoll

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
..gamerk316 beside other rude stuff wrote

"There is never any need to "recover RAM" in any modern OS."

Being an old Mainframe guy (someone still recalls them?!?) I can say that with those old irons you didn't have such problems.. I personally saw many EDP centers running for YEARS without any boot (I should say 'IPL'..) without troubles!
Unfortunately you could not run a DVD or a game on a /390 machine.. but I'm sure that even Bill Gates bank account is still stored on an IBM Z-OS environment..

incalculable

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014

There is very often a need. Modern operating systems do a terrible job of memory management. When working on my phd in computational astrophysics, "purge" was my best friend on my mac. I couldn't have run my data analysis without it. And now that I work in bioinformatics, the 2.37 GB that windows is using just to run outlook and a web browser is extremely obnoxious. I could use 300 GB of ram easily, and the puny 4GB that I have on my desktop is a huge bottleneck for me. The operating system does a terrible job of freeing up memory that should be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.