ATIKMPAG.SYS BSOD. Troubleshooted. What should I replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fideon

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Been having this problem for a while. While playing videogames or software that requires heavye graphics processing my computer hangs for a while then I get BSOD.

I have a Custom PC, specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 3870 X2 OR Nvidia GT520 2GB RAM
MOBO: Micro-ATX ECS A780LM-M2
RAM: PNY 4GB DDR3 RAM
HDD1: IDE 100GB
HDD2: SATA 80GB
PSU: Blazer 900W (+12V1: 28A, +12V2: 28A, -12V: -0.5A, +5V: 30A, +3.3V: 30A, +5VSB: 3A, 115V, 60Hz, 10A / 230V, 50Hz, 6A)

Two things might happen while playing a game:
1) Game freezes, screen goes black, goes to desktop with "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" error. Continue playing.
2) Freezes, BSOD with atikmpag.sys as file that caused error, don't remember which one was with the Nvidia Card.
I've been told that it could be overheating, the PC does get hot, GPU goes around 75C, but, could this really be the cause?
I've also been told that it is because of the Micro ATX Mobo.
Already tried Driver sweeper, booting into safe mode and sweeping again, then reinstalling drivers, issue persists.
Already formatted but did it when I had the Nvidia card (I still have it somewhere but the Radeon is plugged in right now), BUT I haven't formatted with the Radeon.
Both cards are 2.0 and the PCIe is 1.0 so I don't know if this might be the problem.
Also issue happens A LOT with certain games and happens less often with others
Most troublesome: FarCry 2, Civilization V.
Less troublesome: Skyrim (believe it or not at LOW settings), Aika Online. Mid troubles with ArmA II Free at LOW settings.

I'm tired of troubleshooting and want to replace hardware to solve this once and for all (plus it's an upgrade)

Since the MOBO is a MATX form factor I'd like to replace it for an ATX (plus I want more space for memory and PCIe 2.0). Want to replace it with a Gigabyte A885GM-A2.

Now, if you think replacing the Video Card would be a better solution then please recommend me a good, around $100 Video Card (Currently looking at the Radeon HD5450).

Any help is appreciated guys thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.