Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issues running four monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 12:35:06 AM

Hi, I'm attempting to run 4 x 25" Asus VE258Q LED monitors using the DVI connections on twin GeForce 9800 GT cards. Boots fine but one or more monitors blink black intermittently.

I've updated the drivers and checked the cables and cards. I'm running a 500W continuous, 600W peak Rocketfish gaming power supply. Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard.

Thoughts? Is this power supply over-matched? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F14, 8/20/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Total Physical Memory 32.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 27.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 63.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 58.6 GB
Page File Space 32.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2012 1:13:13 AM

may be a power seting in the nvidia control panel..set it to performance..also look under muilt monitor and turn off let the monitor go to sleep.

Best solution

a b C Monitor
October 2, 2012 1:25:11 AM

Just sounds like a cable issue. Don't just check they are connected, swap cables as well. If monitor A works fine but monitor C doesn't swap those. If A has the same symptoms and C works fine now, you might have to buy a new cable.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2012 1:33:34 AM

It could be the PSU.
Rocketfish is a tier 5(not recommended) unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Try removing one card and see if you run ok with just two monitors.
Then try again, using the other card and slot.
If your parts run ok individually, I would suspect the psu.

A 9800GT by itself is recommended to need only a 400w psu with 1 pcie 6 pin connector.
A second can use up to an additional 150w. 75w for the slot, and 75w for the 6 pin connector.
October 2, 2012 3:02:16 AM

Solved: it turned out to be the cables. The monitors have HDMI out, the video cards do not, so I bought some HDMI/DVI adapters. Taking those out of the equation resolved the issue.

I almost hoped it'd be something else, I had just completed some semi-sanitary cable runs under my desk.

Thanks very much to all of you that took the time to help me out. I really appreciate it. All of the suggestions were very, very helpful.

Gary
October 2, 2012 3:02:35 AM

Best answer selected by GFujioka.
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2012 3:28:30 AM

Glad it worked. Enjoy your 4 monitors!
!