Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:38:22 AM

Hello gentlemen,

I was wondering if the time has come to change graphic card. I am currently sitting with ATI 4870 from quite a few years back, the rest of the pc got upgraded since then with an i7 950 processor and a SSD drive.

The pc is mainly used for games and movies.
I know that it would not be hard to get an upgrade for my card but I am wondering which and if I should get one now or wait a couple of months.

The main alternatives I have been looking on is NVIDIA 670 and ATI 7970.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on wether I should wait for a new card or which particular card I should choose

- Thank you!

More about : upgrading graphic card

a c 198 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:44:51 AM

What power supply are you using? The 7970 is what I would prefer. I just believe it is a better card, thought the 670 is good as well.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:48:30 AM

Between the two HD 7970.
PSU?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:51:01 AM

Sorry about that, I got Corsair AX850.

Also if you reckon that I would be better off to replace my current gpu with a cheaper one on the market please feel free to mention.

I am looking for a bang for the buck but it would not be a problem to spend a bit if I get a card that can kick ass for a while

Once again your feedback is very much appreciated!
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:52:59 AM

you playing at 1080p?

What sort of FPS and AA settings you use?
PSU is solid.
a c 198 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:53:22 AM

Well, if you don't want to spend too much, I would recommend the 7870. It would last you quite awhile; probably longer than that 4870 has lasted you.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:57:11 AM

I don´t play on 1080p, I don´t notice so much which settings I use. In general I always try to aim for the highest but you could call me very allergic to lag so I tend to pull it down by quite a bit which is also the reason I really consider switching card currently.

As mentioned every other part I currently got in my PC should all be ahead of my gpu since it was the only thing I did not purchase at that time. I used to play world of warcraft so the processor change managed to do it for me at that point.

a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 1:18:41 AM

If you don't plan to move to 1080p soon, you don't need a 7970.

Either a 7850 or 780 will play anything at very high settling sub-1080p.
Have you a budget?
!