No signal when I connect laptop to tv by hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

srubens555

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I have an Asus UL50V with Windows 7 and Intel 4 series chipset family display adapter. When I connect it via HDMI to the Smasung TV it says No signal on the screen. The HDMI works fine when connected from the cable box to the TV. Also, I tried connecting my Asus to a friends TV via HDMI and it worked fine. So there is no problem with the HDMI cable or my computer, the problem is in how my computer communicates with this Samsung TV via HDMI.

srubens555

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Thanks for the reply. When I press Function F7 all that happens is my laptop's screen goes blank but nothing appears on the TV screen. Also, when I tried it on my friend's TV there was no need for me to do anything other than plug the cable in to get it to work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have seen systems with defective HDMI ports. Try this:

Power both the HDTV and the laptop down. Before turning the HDTV off, make sure it is set to the HDMI port you are connected to. Now, connect your HDMI cable. Next, power up the HDTV, then power up the laptop. Watch the HDTV for any activity at all.

Report back with the results.

srubens555

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

I followed all the steps and still no luck. The only activity on the screen is that when I power up the TV it says "check signal cable" and then once I power up the laptop it says "No Signal"

srubens555

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

There is only one HDMI port on this TV. It works fine when the HDMI line is plugged into the cable box, it is only when plugged into my laptop that there is no signal.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Same here, BTW, unless it is already tuned to a particular port/connection.

srubens555

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

With the remote I can select TV, PC, HDMI1 or HDMI2. With PC or HDMI1 it says "No signal" when I connect to my laptop, when I select HDMI2 is says "the source is not connected." HDMI1 is the one I used with the cable box.

Darkoil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

You have to manually set the HDMI source to PC, try pressing source so it brings up the list, scroll to the one you are interested in using so in this case it is hdmi 1, when that is highlighted on the screen then click the tools button on the remote so a new menu pops up which should be something like 'edit name' and 'information' click on edit name then scroll down again and choose pc. Hopefully this should work.

srubens555

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

I edited the name of HDMI1 to PC and it didn't work. I also tried editing the name of PC to PC and that also did not work.

ttodriscoll

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Change your power plan to Power4Gear Entertainment - this activates both GPUs so that you can display on 2 screens at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.