Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 1:15:18 AM

Hi,

I currently have an EVGA gtx 570, and I was wondering if it was a good idea to get a pair of http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=74900&vpn=GV-... for $89.99 (after MIR) and then sell my gtx 570 for around $200 or so.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 ATX LGA1155
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CXV2 600W ATX
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT

;) 

More about : 7770 crossfire gtx 570

a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 1:18:48 AM

No, I would keep what you have. Down the track, I would sell your 570 for a 670 or 7950 or if you can last long enough a 770 or equivalent.

I want to know why you feel the need to change? Is your current performance below satisfactory?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 1:25:08 AM

I would only SLI/XFIRE with mid-high/high range cards. Too many issues, not worth one really good GPU solution. I would keep what you have until your ready to invest upward.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 1:25:20 AM

Jay-Z said:
No, I would keep what you have. Down the track, I would sell your 570 for a 670 or 7950 or if you can last long enough a 770 or equivalent.

I want to know why you feel the need to change? Is your current performance below satisfactory?

To be honest I don't feel that my card perform at the levels I have seen in some benchmarks, also I get this weird bug after I wake my computer from a long sleep, my GPU doesn't wake up with the rest of the PC; therefore I have to restart my computer in order for things to go back to normal. I noticed this when games started to lag after waking up my computer from being asleep, also this little gadget I use to read my GPU's temp,fan speed, and memory usage goes blank on me. I haven't updated the BIOS since I got my MOBO, although I don't know if the issue lies there.

PS: What's a solid replacement for my current card if I have about a $300 budget?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 1:45:51 AM

Updating the BIOS may solve the problem. Also update the Nvidia driver if you haven't already. Try to rectify this before deciding to upgrade.

Replacement?
For $300, a 660ti or even a top 7870.
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:56:29 AM

Jay-Z said:
Updating the BIOS may solve the problem. Also update the Nvidia driver if you haven't already. Try to rectify this before deciding to upgrade.

Replacement?
For $300, a 660ti or even a top 7870.

What exactly is a top 7870?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 3:44:14 AM

LOL That's an even better deal.

If you think about model numbers, 680 Ti > 7970 > 670 Ti = 7950 > 660 Ti. So you're only 1-2 models below the best card. If you can get it for $300 CAD I would do it.

Remember too that each model has special editions of their boards that might beat out another model. Also not everyone's benchmarks are the same based on the test rig.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 5:28:56 AM

Get the 7950 and be done. That is a beast of a card and the price is epic. You should see noticeable improvements. Furthermore, since you were considering crossfire in the OP, this leaves the door open to an epic setup. Hope this helps. :) 
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:46:28 PM

Jay-Z said:
Get the 7950 and be done. That is a beast of a card and the price is epic. You should see noticeable improvements. Furthermore, since you were considering crossfire in the OP, this leaves the door open to an epic setup. Hope this helps. :) 

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66...

^^ Are those speeds possible on that card? The guy making the review said they were only possible in very specific cards, like the ones below.

Also why the diff in price here?

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=67748&vpn=FX795ATDFC&m...

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=67747&vpn=FX795ATDBC&m...
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:53:35 PM

The $500 card you linked is hugely overpriced, I have no idea why it's so much more expensive for just a slight factory OC.

1195 is a high overclock for the 7950, but not incredibly uncommon. The average OC on a 7950 is around 1150 MHz:
http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/radeon_hd_7950/

The 7950 is the best overclocking card on the market in terms of possible % gain over stock speeds. When overclocked it plays with the big boys - losing only to overclocked 7970s and 680s.

If you have $300 to spend, it's a no-brainer and if you overclock it will be a big step up from a 570.

BTW I'd recommend this one for a bit under $270 if you just want a really awesome deal and would be happy with an OC in the 1100 MHz+ range:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Or this one for $320 if you're serious about trying to get lucky chasing down a 1200 MHz overclock:

IMO save $50 and get that MSI Twin Frozr card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 1:26:46 PM

I would get the MSI 7950. For the price quoted, you will not be able to beat it.
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:39:31 PM

Jay-Z said:
I would get the MSI 7950. For the price quoted, you will not be able to beat it.

How about the quality on that thing?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 1:52:58 PM

Well for starters, you can run higher AA than on the Nvidia cards and max settings should be accessible in most if not all current games. And that is before you start to overclock.
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:20:57 PM

That 7950 Twin Frozr is a very good card. Here's a review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7950_Twin_Fro...

Bear in mind that is an old review, so the overclocking limits have increased, drivers have improved performance since then, and overclocking performance should be better since AMD's manufacturing process has improved (although as you can see, when increasing voltages they were able to push the card above 1200 MHz which is CRAZY).

-edit- Just browsed through a bunch of reviews of that card... pretty much all of them were able to approach 1200 MHz on their overclock with a bit of voltage tuning. No reason to get the Sapphire Vapor-X that I linked above. Take that MSI Twin Frozr card and you're good to go :bounce: 
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 3:02:32 PM

Well whatever you do don't buy a Nvidia 6 series card those piece of shits i could just kill them totally out of line let their ego get the best of them they put voltage lock on the cards now :(  i am thinking of filing a lawsuit though i doubt i will win so pretty much pointless. :pfff:  Plus as much they charge i would consider them a lost cause for a choice now.If you don't care about that then either will serve you well.
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:25:45 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well whatever you do don't buy a Nvidia 6 series card those piece of shits i could just kill them totally out of line let their ego get the best of them they put voltage lock on the cards now :(  i am thinking of filing a lawsuit though i doubt i will win so pretty much pointless. :pfff:  Plus as much they charge i would consider them a lost cause for a choice now.If you don't care about that then either will serve you well.

And you wondered why I disliked Nvidia's 6xx series so much... you just found out one reason why :whistle: 
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 3:37:37 PM

BigMack70 said:
And you wondered why I disliked Nvidia's 6xx series so much... you just found out one reason why :whistle: 
:lol:  i understand now. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 4:20:09 PM

Everyone pretty much agrees, if you can get that 7950 for $300 CAD shipped, then do it. You will not be disappointed. It also leaves you open for X Fire if you find yourself wanting more. With the GTX 680 Ti & 7970 being the top GPU's right now, you'll only be one model under the top cards, can't argue with that.
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:35:45 PM

Jay-Z said:
Well for starters, you can run higher AA than on the Nvidia cards and max settings should be accessible in most if not all current games. And that is before you start to overclock.

BigMack70 said:
That 7950 Twin Frozr is a very good card. Here's a review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7950_Twin_Fro...

Bear in mind that is an old review, so the overclocking limits have increased, drivers have improved performance since then, and overclocking performance should be better since AMD's manufacturing process has improved (although as you can see, when increasing voltages they were able to push the card above 1200 MHz which is CRAZY).

-edit- Just browsed through a bunch of reviews of that card... pretty much all of them were able to approach 1200 MHz on their overclock with a bit of voltage tuning. No reason to get the Sapphire Vapor-X that I linked above. Take that MSI Twin Frozr card and you're good to go :bounce: 

dscudella said:
Everyone pretty much agrees, if you can get that 7950 for $300 CAD shipped, then do it. You will not be disappointed. It also leaves you open for X Fire if you find yourself wanting more. With the GTX 680 Ti & 7970 being the top GPU's right now, you'll only be one model under the top cards, can't argue with that.

After looking around and getting actual prices I came to this conclusion:

I can pick up this card (store is close to my house) for $338 including taxes and what not. (if they don't have it I would have to order it for another $7)

http://forums.us.ncix.ca/products/?sku=67546&vpn=GV-R79...

and the following for $318 after S&H and tax for $318

For a $20 difference I think I should go with the Gigabyte, right?

PS: This might sound stupid, but are there ANY advantages on purchasing a GPU that it's from the same brand as the MOBO? (In general)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 4:42:45 PM

No, their's no advantage to matching manufacturers. If you're not going to go with Sapphire (my personal favorite) then go with the MSI. If you read the reviews on the Gigabyte they are factory OC'ed, which is good, but they also bump up the voltage to run them that way, not leaving you much room to play around with. Get the cheapest 7950 (within reason and being of a good brand) and OC it yourself, you'll get better results.
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:52:34 PM

No advantage to matching the manufacturer of your mobo and GPU; I think the MSI Twin Frozr card is better than the Gigabyte, and since it's cheaper too I'd say get that.
m
l
October 2, 2012 5:01:45 PM

dscudella said:
No, their's no advantage to matching manufacturers. If you're not going to go with Sapphire (my personal favorite) then go with the MSI. If you read the reviews on the Gigabyte they are factory OC'ed, which is good, but they also bump up the voltage to run them that way, not leaving you much room to play around with. Get the cheapest 7950 (within reason and being of a good brand) and OC it yourself, you'll get better results.

Can you explain that to me though, from the way I see if it comes OC already at a higher voltage doesn't it mean that:

1- The voltage might already good enough for me to boost the Core Clock to a decent frequency safely

2- The video card came better prepared for OCing

?

I am just thinking out loud here, not sure if I am right.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 5:07:05 PM

Give me one sec, I'm trying to find the article / review I read that mentioned this in Gigabyte cards, I think it was specifically the ones with 3 fans.
m
l
!