Gaming PC for little brother

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hey everybody,

I'm going to build a budget gaming PC for my little brother. I've sort of chosen the parts, but I would like to know some opinions. The PC will mostly be used for gaming, like Assassin's Creed or Mafia II. The budget is also kind of tight, so I tried to go with the lowest that would work. So remember, I'm not going for the highest FPS, but for gaming on decent settings on 45-60 FPS.

here's the list:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3000Ghz
GPU: MSI HD7750 2GB
MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M LX3
Case: Zalman ZM-T2
RAM: GeIL 8GB DDR3-1333
ODD: LG GH24NS70
HHD: WD5000AZRX 500GB
FAN: Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan XL1 (x3)
PSU: Be Quiet! System power S6 300W

if anyone has some great advice, please respond!

The Athlon is not a good chip. Go with a Phenom II quad core.

What resolution is he playing at? That card may or may not be enough.

Whatever brand of power supply that is, I can almost guarantee you it'll explode one day. Get a decent power supply.

That being said, what's your budget? An A10 APU might just do the trick, and he'd get better graphics for cheaper, that way.

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
whoops my bad, I meant 3Ghz :D

Pricing is a bit tricky, because I'm buying everything in the Netherlands. But this, with a 18,5" LED screen, and some cheap-ass speakers will be 500 euro, so that would be about 650 dollar. The resolution he'll be playing on is 1366x768.

I could go with the Phenom, but I'm not sure he will notice very much difference. Other than gaming there will be no power-consuming activities like photoshopping, or rendering movies.

And what power-supply would you recommend? I don't really know any good brands for this kind of low wattage.