Rebuild help please

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
My case
http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=ATXA8NW-AL/500

My psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I also already have an optical drive and a hard drive and a windows xp home.

So main things i need is a cpu ram and motherboard. Problem is i'm on an extremely tight budget. So need to get all 3 as cheaply as possible. I only need 4 gigs of ram right now so was considering a cheap 4 gigs which seems about $20 i plan to get a second stick to add another 4 gigs later when i get a new os either windows 7 or 8.

Paths i'm considering are"

An apu build this way i get a pretty decent cpu and graphics card all in one plus an fm2 board

or an fx cpu Vishera and an am3+ board which will be alot more expensive i'm only considering this as i am impressed with the 6300 but would not be buying it right away it be a future upgrade to it or a newer fx cpu later on. I'd be buying one of the cheapest cpus i could at first that would work with an am3+ board. With this i'd need a cheap graphics card to start that i'll upgrade later on.

My last one i am considering is an 1155 ivy bridge compatible motherboard with a cheap cpu to be upgraded later on once i can get the money up for it. With this i would probably need a cheap graphics card to start with an upgrade later on.

Those are what i'm considering. I mainly use my pc to surf the web watch videos online and play mmos. Which almost any cpu can handle the job of playing most mmos lol My old pc finally died after over 6 years it was an amd athlon xx2 4400+ with a biostar tforce 6100-939 motherboard and 3 1 gig sticks of kingston hyper x blue ram.

I need to really get all 3 the ram cpu and a good mobo for under $150 if at all possible. Which is one of the reasons i'm considering an apu. As then i can get a decent gpu and cpu in one price. Although i'd be able to have better upgrading going with an am3+ or 1155 board. But that also means i'd have to go without a decent gpu for a few months at the least. I'd like to also mention i do not ever plan to oc or use sli or crossfire so do not need a real fancy mobo. What i need is just a cheap but dependable one.

I need to get my pc rebuilt asap though as right now i'm using the wifes pc to search for parts for mine. I really want my own pc back >_< So any help you can offer in helping me to find the best possible combination would be greatly appreciated. I know its a tough one. I've been racking my brain over it. So any thoughts on these 3 things?

Ram:
Motherboard:
Processor:

???

Edited to add i'm buying from amazon so links to the components from there would be best. And thanks again.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Also to add i honestly did not know that the am3+ was compatible with the am3 socket cpus. So another path could be to buy an am3+ board and a cheap am3 processor like the newer ams athlon 2 or athlon x4. Keep in mind i used my on board graphics for many years on my old pc (geforce 6100) and had bought a discrete gpu recently (a 6450) but ended up selling the gpu for extra cash to buy the parts needed to do a rebuild.

I plan to purchase these parts on Friday Novembber 30. So a little less then a week away from now. So any suggestions on parts configurations using fm2 board and fm2 cpu or an am3+ motherboard and a cheap am3 cpu or a 1155 motherboard and a cheap 1155 cpu?

cutebeans

Distinguished

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I don't really need 8 gigs of memory especially since windows xp home only supports a max of 4 and only uses maybe 3. So i'm looking to buy only 4 gigs of ram. And if i go with that intel build i'll need to buy a discrete gpu to play any games at all. Its one of the reasons i'm leaning more towards amd as many amd boards come with on board graphics and the apus have half way decent graphics. Intel cpus are at times better that is true but to game require a discrete gpu.

I'm also searching and reading while awaiting some others thoughts. And most am3+ boards come with some half way decent on board graphics and of corse the apus have them built in while intel has pretty crappy graphics and almost all intel boards have no gpu on board and leave you using the weak gpu built into the intel chips. So intel seems a lot more costly especially in my case where i need to get the cpu ram and motherboard for under $150.

I appreciate the recommend and not just trying to out right dismiss it. I just want to try to get the best deal i can. And i'll be stuck with this configuration for at least a few months until i can slowly upgrade. Which is why i chose to ask for recommends using the am3+ fm2 and 1155 boards this way when i get the money up i can buy a better cpu later on.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Really so no fm2 socket apu and fm2 boards? Or and am3+ boards with an am3 cpu? If you have no clue on what you are talking about at least have the decency to say so rather then stating blatant lies such as you not being able to buy either of those configurations for under $150 dollars which is a flat out lie.

There are many am3 processors out there for under $60-$80 and many boards for under $50-$70 leaving an easy $20 bucks for a 4 gig stick of ddr3 ram.

Fm2 there is the a4-5300 and the a6-5400k you can generally find both for under $70 leaving $60 for a motherboard and $20 for ram.

I'm not looking for you definition of nice. I'm looking for a setup that will allow me to have a pc to use and can game on the lowest possible settings until i'm able to upgrade the components gradually. I'm not buying these components to keep my pc that way forever. Hence why i asked for recommends that use motherboards that leaves me a future upgrade path for when i can afford it.

Intel doesn't seem feasible for this route because it has such weak integrated graphics. At least with an am3+ route you can get half way decent graphics built into the mobo. And a decent integrated graphics with the fm2 apus. Which is why i'm leaning more towards amd for a cpu choice.

cutebeans

Distinguished
If you don't believe me, then just get the A4-5300 with the cheapest FM2 motherboard and ram.

It will hold you at the start but with the weak CPU, it would only be a waste in the long run than a good Intel CPU ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SAID YOU WILL BE UPGRADING IN THE FUTURE.

-___-. $150 and you expect something decent and when somebody tells you the truth, you TELL THEM THEY ARE LYING WTF.

Just get the ****ing FM2 build and we'll see who's lying.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Should have guessed you were an intel fanboy/fangirl. I'm not a fan of either one as i've owned both. The low end is where intel has always been behind amd though. They have the best gaming cpus thats true but you pay far more for them. And when you move into multithreading intel is again left out.

Don't get me wrong if i had a much larger budget i would go with a 3570k or even a 2500k cpu and a discrete card. But seeing how I've got next to no budget at all amd does seem more logical.

I'm asking for recommendations as the last pc i put together and mobo i bought was over 6 years ago. So i'm quite a bit out of date when it comes to many cpu's and mobo's. I've read up on the most recent cpus and been trying to check out the newest motherboards as well. But its a bit over whelming when you have over 6 years of research to catch up on.

Hence why i'm asking for help in recommendations. At the high end things are easy on what to get and even at the mid range. But at the low end there are just so many choices to choose from. And so many paths its hard to choose from. I'm hoping to get some practical recommendations if possible with no fanboyism/fangirism involved.

cutebeans

Distinguished
Dude, I am telling you the truth.

I don't get why you are so poor though $150 and you expect some miraculous performance from those parts.

YOU ASKED. I JUST ANSWERED.

ALSO, AMD HAS BEEN LOSING IN EVERY PRICE POINT WITH THEIR CPUS. The only thing keeping them afloat is their APUs which are mostly used for HTPCs and not for gaming.

Look at the benchmarks and understand why everyone is always RECOMMENDING INTEL CPUS AT EVERY PRICEPOINT WHEN IT COMES TO GAMING.

-___-. Get a Trinity APU with FM2 motherboard and ram for $150. It will perform like crap.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I like how you edit a post after the fact. You are not looking at the build in the right way. Its to be a basic build to build on. Not a final build. And to go intel i'd need to buy a discrete gpu to do what i can do with an am3+ or fm2 build right from the start. And just fyi the a10-5800k is just a bit below an i3. And there is at least 1 new architecture coming to the fm2 socket and if it improves above what the a10-5800k can do it will easily surpass an i3. So yes there is an upgrade path beyond the original fm2 if i go that route.

However intel 1155 is dead in the water past the ivy bridge line as haswell will be a whole new socket type. So with a 1155 route the 3570k seems to be the best choice. Don't get me wrong it is a great cpu. But is also a lot more expensive as well. So intel seems well out of my price range.

cutebeans

Distinguished

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Some people have families to support just fyi. So not every one can get cash and spend it like it grows on trees.

And no you seem to think intel is the only possible option.

Amd is not competing with intel at the high end and has not been for a while now. Just in case you missed that memo. And i would not say they have not been competing with them at the low end. And i guess you have not checked out the latest amd cpus the 6300 destroys i3's and is just below the i5's.

At least do some research on some thing your self rather then repeating things said. What you are talking about is at the high end not the low end. And with how cpus are now when it comes to gaming a gpu is far more important then a cpu in gaming performance. So you get better performance with a cheap cpu and a better gpu then with a weak gpu and a stronger cpu. Hence why i'm reluctant to go with an intel build as there is no room for a discrete gpu in it. So going with the option of the best gpu is what i'm taking into consideration. And intel does not have it unless you buy it.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Maybe, but the question is will that fm2 upgrade surpass the performance of a i5-3570K? I highly doubt it. In a couple of years, you will find a i5-2500K or 3570K for really cheap and they will probably still be ahead of AMD new architecture. And I'm not an Intel fanboy, I had more AMD systems in my life than Intel. You're the one who tries to make this into a war, cutebeans was just trying to help you. Both upgrade paths are good for you, I'm just not convinced that AMD will be the cheapest or better in your situation, that's all.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
That is trying predict the future. With the a10-5800k so close to the i3 its safe to say it will have a chance to best it with the new architecture (but still not guaranteed). While the 6300 is close to an i5 and beats the i3's the 8350 keeps up to or slightly lower then an i5. So could one of the newer planned architectures from amd surpass the i5? Thats still up in the air.

But what i'm arguing is that an amd build with a better built in gpu either on the cpu or on the mobo beats an intel build at the lowest end because of the weak intel igp. And since i can not get a discrete gpu right now an intel build is a bad choice i think. Especially if i can get a better on board gpu or a better igp from an amd build.And since i never try to max out settings i do not need some thing high end especially when i plan to upgrade later on.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
MC_K7

How is that? With the intel build i will not be able to do a whole lot right away. Or do you think the igp of an intel can beat the built in graphics of an am3+ board or the igp of an apu? And how helpful is some one being by immediately rejecting other choices and saying its not possible any other way? How is that helpful?

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Am3+ has at least 1 more architecture on the way same as fm2 sockets. So there are future upgrade paths. Will either of those beat an i5? I do not know. Since amd is no longer competing with intel i doubt it. And i do not ever plan to buy a high end pc. As long as my system can handle what i need from it i could care less about high fps.

And i called you a liar when you stated a matter of a fact that there was no other path. Which obviously there are 2 other paths besides the one you mentioned.

And now you want to insult me as well as my family? A weaker cpu and a stronger gpu will give better performance over a stronger cpu and a weaker gpu. Any one worth a grain of salt with any computer experience knows that. Its very basic computer knowledge.

And you are a complete and utter ass to insult me and my family. Has it now become accepted to allow blatant insults to be thrown at posters and their family? Is it ok to now point and make fun of those who have less money then others? If so then this place has really gone down hill. And the rules are no longer enforced.

For you to call some one being childish what do you call some one who throws a tantrum and insults around and even calls them names? What would you call them? If you do not get a reprimand or banned for your blatant insults and harassment then i'm guessing there are no rules here any more.

MC_K7

Distinguished

It depends if you absolutely want to be gaming right away (you didn't say if gaming was that important for you or not). Even with AMD built-in GPU you will be limited in your gaming capabilities. With Intel you could forget gaming for a while until you can get a cheap discrete graphics card, you can find some really cheap used ones for sale on craigslist or kijiji for example. My friend just got a 5870 for 90$ so you can probably find something really interesting for 50$ or something in a few months.

By the way, no one was rejecting your choice, just making different suggestions. Anyways, it seems like your mind was already made up before making this post, so if you're 100% convinced you want AMD and not opened to discussion, why creating this post in the first place?

By the way, cutebeans didn't insult your family, you're going too far, this is paranoia and you seem to be in confrontation mode, I don't think further discussion with you is possible, sorry.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
MC_K7

In my first post i posted:

"I mainly use my pc to surf the web watch videos online and play mmos"

So yes i did mention gaming. And i posted to get a couple different builds to consider. So far i'm being told that intel is the absolute only choice. And it be a few months before i could buy a discrete gpu which is why i said that it seems amd is the better choice due to the weak igp of intel.

And there is 2 build paths with amd. The first is to get an am3+ board the second is to go with an apu. And under both of those there are many different cpus as well as motherboards. Hence asking for opinions. I'm going to want to use the pc right away. And i could just as easily add a discrete gpu to either amd builds.

I'm not trying to be difficult and my thread is being dragged way off topic. I'm just trying to find the best possible path for my budget hence the topic. It never hurts to get a couple other peoples opinions to have more to consider. So i'm looking for a few different builds within my budget to consider.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
MC_K7

Really so insulting the father as well as his intelligence as well as insulting and saying i do not take care of my family? Then also saying to :

"Make sure that you have enough money to feed your family when you buy the parts"

How is that not insulting or degrading? And how is insulting me and my family income not involving my family especially with a comment like:

"I don't even understand how you can even support your family"

Neither of those things needed to be posted and are clearly insults.

And the rules of the forums state:

Violations - It violates the Tom's Hardware Rules of Conduct if you engage in any of the following activity:

Post, promote or distribute any content that is illegal.
Promote or encourage activity which is illegal, such as hacking, cracking, scamming.
*Harass, threaten, embarrass or insult other users, including sending unwanted messages, attacking race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Ad hominem attacks are not permitted.*
*Hate speech is not permitted. You may not post or distribute content that is harmful, abusive, racist, homophobic, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of privacy, or objectionable.*
Disrupt the natural flow of forum discussion through vulgar language, spamming, flooding, or any variant.
*Trolling, defined as knowingly soliciting strong negative responses simply for shock value.*
Posting off-topic posts in inappropriate forums.
Impersonation.
Phishing. A moderator will never ask for your password.
Upload or link to files which contain a virus or malware.
Make posts to advertise or promote, forward chain letters, pyramid schemes or multi-level marketing programs.

I put a * around the forum rules i think they violated with their post. Regardless they served no point other then to break the rules. And its not paranoia and i'm not being confrontational. I'm just looking for help in rebuilding my pc. >_<

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Can we please get on topic and stay there? 22 posts and i have had one recommendation for an intel build which i don't think will suit my needs. And one using the 5400k with one choice of motherboard and no recommend for an am3+ build. I was thinking maybe an athlon 2 either a x2 or an x4. I am leaning more towards an am3+ build to be honest. But i'm also interested in an apu build.

MC_K7

Distinguished
I missed those posts by him or he probably edited them. But you seemed rather aggressive with him from the start in your first replies so it might not have helped. Human beings are like mirrors so if you're aggressive expect people to answer in the same tone. As soon as he mentioned Intel it seemed like it was a personal insult to you. I'm not saying it's 100% your fault, but I'd say at least 50% because you seemed aggressive in most of your replies so don't come complaining if this thread has gone off-topic. It might be too late now, I would suggest you simply start up a new thread specifying you only want AMD options it might be the best way now.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
To be honest i was slightly offended by his first post clearly showed he did not read my post at all. Proof? He states i did not say my budget but i clearly said i need to get all 3 for under $150. His third post stated :

"You will not get anything nice for $150"

I took it as a shot as it seemed to be implying i was asking for the stars for $150. When i clearly stated i was just looking for a setup to surf the web watch videos and play mmos. My athlon 64 x2 4400+ could easily play any mmo i came across. Its over 6 years old. So any new cpu i could buy would be an upgrade as well as play my games.

So i was not asking for much. Even the athlon 2 x2 or x4 would be a step up and fit in my budget. And many mobo's have a built in graphics on the mobo and many have a gpu equal to or better then the 6450 i was using before to game. And it was said by them that i could not do better then an intel G860 or G645 then B75 motherboard.

I was just trying to point out that i could not go that route as i would need a discrete gpu with it. While i would not with the other 2 amd type builds. And they took it as an insult. They clearly said though that i could not get some thing nice for $150. Completely disregarding any amd type build out right. >_<

MC_K7

Distinguished

This is exactly what I meant by being aggressive from the start, your original post is so long that it's easy to miss on some details, no need to get offended just because of that. So you kind of started it, as I said I'm not saying it's all your fault, but you sure didn't help either. I'm sorry but it's too late now, this thread is burned, just start a new one sorry.