Graphic card for Core 2 Duo

SNadar7

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hello,
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo processor @2.2 Ghz with 2 gb ram. Display adapter G965 chipset family. My monitor is a 17" Samsung. How do i check the PSU and know the power rating of the card to be used.

Solution
it should be printed on the side of the PS. you'll have to pull the side off the case and look at the sticker..... however, if you're only using a 17 monitor the PS will probably already be big enough because the graphics card won't need tons of power.

try a Radeon 6770 or 7750 or something in that performance area. neither card needs an external plug for power.

edit. you should run 4gigs of ram. it will help your system out. try and squeeze more of what you already have ( exactly ) or buy 2 - 2gig sticks that are compatible with your system and discard the old stuff.
it should be printed on the side of the PS. you'll have to pull the side off the case and look at the sticker..... however, if you're only using a 17 monitor the PS will probably already be big enough because the graphics card won't need tons of power.

try a Radeon 6770 or 7750 or something in that performance area. neither card needs an external plug for power.

edit. you should run 4gigs of ram. it will help your system out. try and squeeze more of what you already have ( exactly ) or buy 2 - 2gig sticks that are compatible with your system and discard the old stuff.

Solution
Open the case and look inside to find out what your PSU is.
Look up reviews on the card your looking at if you want to find its power draw.

Though if you are running hardware that old and are unsure of your components, I would say that you would be better off with a whole new rig than a new graphics card that will more then likely be bottlenecked.

SNadar7

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

Hey Swifty Morgan,

Thanks for your response. I had tried to use 2X 2gig cards but for some reason unknown to me the memory reads only 2 gigs. May be it is incompatible. So I had removed one card and left alone the new 2 gig card.
Also I have a spare 1 gig card can i use this along with the other 2 gig card.

SNadar7

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

For the time being i have to cater myself with this old rig only. So was trying to enhance it at a low cost.

SNadar7

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

Nope I haven't. Do you mean to imply that there might be some issues with the PCI slots ?? But I will give it another shot as per your advice.

Thanks again.