Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can't Install Windows to a New, Unpartitioned HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
February 23, 2012 1:08:24 PM

So this is my first PC build, and I'm ready to install Windows 7. When I get to the drive selection screen, I have one choice: my Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD, which shows up as "Disk 0 Unallocated Space", 465.8 GB Total / 465.8GB Free. This is the only SATA device I have installed other than the optical drive. When I try to select it, I get the error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk (show details)".

I am using an ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, and the drive is detected by the BIOS. I have tried setting the drive to both IDE mode and AHCI mode, and I get the same error message. Is this a driver issue with the SATA controller? Any other ideas?
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 1:15:11 PM

And if you show details what does it say ?? -- and what version of Windows are you trying to install ? (is it an Upgrade version, OEM , or Retail)
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 1:23:49 PM

have you tried formatting the drive
Score
Related resources
February 23, 2012 1:27:19 PM

JDFan said:
And if you show details what does it say ?? -- and what version of Windows are you trying to install ? (is it an Upgrade version, OEM , or Retail)

When I click show details, it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

My Windows disc says "Backup disc: Not for resale". I got it in that Ultimate Steal promo they had running. I have used this disc to install Windows onto my Macbook with no trouble.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 1:35:23 PM

Synkro said:
When I click show details, it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

My Windows disc says "Backup disc: Not for resale". I got it in that Ultimate Steal promo they had running. I have used this disc to install Windows onto my Macbook with no trouble.

IIRC tHat deal was for an upgrade version and to use it you would need to have an older version of windows already installed on the system :

Quote:
Do note also that the license purchased is of retail Upgrade license, which means technically students must own an previous edition of Windows to install the new Windows 7, although students may not be able to upgrade directly and has to perform clean custom installation on some upgrade paths, such as from Windows XP, although there is workaround to upgrade directly to Windows 7 from Windows XP or manually transfer data via Windows Easy Transfer. To determine that users will be able to upgrade properly, students are encouraged to run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and determine whether current computer runs in 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

Are you selecting a "CUSTOM Install" from the prompt -- as this is the option you need to choose in order to format the HDD and install a clean installation when using the upgrade media to do a clean install (when upgrading from XP ) and might allow you to use the disk (however you will need to contact MS to activate the product in less than 30 days and your key may not work since you already used it on a MAC and do not have a qualifying older OS that you are upgrading from !)
Score
February 23, 2012 1:41:50 PM

Interesting. I have an XP install disc, I'll give that a shot then upgrade to 7 if the XP install goes through.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 1:47:23 PM

Synkro said:
Interesting. I have an XP install disc, I'll give that a shot then upgrade to 7 if the XP install goes through.

No need to install XP first --- you just need to select Custom INstall from the selections and then choose to format and install (YOu have to do this in order to upgrade from XP anyway as there is no way to go directly from XP to Win 7 - so installing XP would just waste time) - SEE HERE for instructions on going from XP to 7 -- YOu will need the XP key in order to activate after installation when you phone in the activation since the upgrade version will not activate using it's key you will have to use the phone activation process and they will ask for both the upgrade key and the old OS (XP) key and then will give you a response code to validate the install.
Score
February 23, 2012 1:51:38 PM

JDFan said:
IIRC tHat deal was for an upgrade version and to use it you would need to have an older version of windows already installed on the system :

Are you selecting a "CUSTOM Install" from the prompt -- as this is the option you need to choose in order to format the HDD and install a clean installation when using the upgrade media to do a clean install (when upgrading from XP ) and might allow you to use the disk (however you will need to contact MS to activate the product in less than 30 days and your key may not work since you already used it on a MAC and do not have a qualifying older OS that you are upgrading from !)

I have been selecting Custom Install. I've since uninstalled Windows 7 from my Mac, and will be only using it on the new PC.

Now I'm trying to install XP SP2, and I'm getting the following message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Score
February 23, 2012 2:10:37 PM

JDFan said:
No need to install XP first --- you just need to select Custom INstall from the selections and then choose to format and install (YOu have to do this in order to upgrade from XP anyway as there is no way to go directly from XP to Win 7 - so installing XP would just waste time) - SEE HERE for instructions on going from XP to 7 -- YOu will need the XP key in order to activate after installation when you phone in the activation since the upgrade version will not activate using it's key you will have to use the phone activation process and they will ask for both the upgrade key and the old OS (XP) key and then will give you a response code to validate the install.

When I select Custom Install, I don't have the ability to format the HDD (the format button is greyed out). If also can't create a new partition from the unallocated space.

If I have my XP activation key, then I can skip installing XP and go straight to 7?
Score
February 23, 2012 5:26:48 PM

Now I am trying to create a new partition from the unallocated space using diskpart. When I try to create a primary partition, I get the error:

"Diskpart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. See the system event log for more information."
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 5:45:06 PM

Is the HDD installed in one of the SATA 6G or 3G connections - and is the HDD 6G or 3G ? - could be that the 6Gbs connectors need other drivers loaded before it can boot from them - the MOBO manual should mention how to get it to boot from them if this is the case.
February 23, 2012 7:16:30 PM

JDFan said:
Is the HDD installed in one of the SATA 6G or 3G connections - and is the HDD 6G or 3G ? - could be that the 6Gbs connectors need other drivers loaded before it can boot from them - the MOBO manual should mention how to get it to boot from them if this is the case.

I seem to have found the issue, I changed the optical drive setting from AHCI to UEFI. Now the install worked!
Score
February 29, 2012 11:04:54 PM

Best answer selected by synkro.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
February 29, 2012 11:15:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!