Damage caused by removing HDMI cable

jjmorrison

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
hi, im just curious to know weather or not i can do damage to my graphics card by pulling out the HDMI cable while my computer is up and running, i do this quite often when i game on my t.v rather than my monitor (i switch between the 2), its been ok so far, but since i just put in a gtx 670 im not sure if i should do this anymore?

Solution
Short answer would be most likely not. However like anything it is possible that over a period of time you could cause excessive wear on the connector or cable end.

I really do not think they were designed to be constantly plugged and unplugged in that way. But your real question was about removing it while the computer is running and that will not cause any harm as the HDMI port is plug and play so that is fine.

jjmorrison

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

because it might sound stupid, but i dont like the cable stretching from my computer to my tele across the floor, =)

SyrumX

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
So, the question is, "Would it damage my graphics card?" and my answer is, no. I highly doubt pulling out the hdmi and switching monitors, while the computer is running, will do damage to the graphics card itself. Anyone else agree/disagree? o.o

jjmorrison

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

yes, thats the question =)

Short answer would be most likely not. However like anything it is possible that over a period of time you could cause excessive wear on the connector or cable end.

I really do not think they were designed to be constantly plugged and unplugged in that way. But your real question was about removing it while the computer is running and that will not cause any harm as the HDMI port is plug and play so that is fine.

Solution