Sign in with
Your question

Insert card = computer won't boot.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 5:31:27 AM

Ok, I just bought an EVGA GTX 670 2GB about 2 days ago and it was working wonderfully.

Today, I bought a motherboard (GA-Z77-D3H) and I managed to finally get everything working, until it turned off after 10 minutes of being in the BIOS. Now, whenever the card is plugged into the motherboard it won't boot, regardless of whether the PCI-E power cables were connected or not. I also have an Antec EarthWatts 750-EA 750W PSU. Normally, I wouldn't question it's capabilities until I saw on the box of the video card:

"500 watt or greater pwoer supply with a minimum of 30 amps on the +12 volt rail.
Looking at the PSU and on the specs on Newegg, it looks like the amperage tops out at 25A. (Keep in mind that I know virtually nothing in regards to power.) The PSU itself is kind of modular, but not really. Most of the cords don't come out, and the PSU came with a couple extra cords for the two remaining spots on the PSU.

My question is thus: Did my video card just die and should be returned, or is my PSU faulty/not up to the task?
I also added an SSD (not like those take much power).
I have a total of 4 hard drives, including the SSD, an i5 2500k an 4GB of RAM.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 5:58:04 AM

That PSU should be more than enough for that card. You have 4 12+ rails at 25 amps not one. This from Newegg "Four +12V output circuits provide maximum stable power for the CPU independently of the other peripherals. Bring new power to your system with this remarkable supply!". If you have the both PCI-E power cable's plugged in and still can't get the system to boot my best guess would be a bad GPU. Remember that newer GPU's will not work at all if you do not have the PCI-E power cables plugged in. For instance on my Sapphire HD 6950 and Sapphire HD 7950 rigs the GPU's will just give me a loud beep from the GPU if I do not plug in the PCI-E power cables.
m
l
October 4, 2012 2:45:59 AM

New update: I've replaced the motherboard AND the 670 - both to the same end.
I had a GA-Z68MA-D2H board and the 670 worked wonderfully on it. Issue was, I needed a PCI slot and the USB 3.0 header. So, I decided to upgrade to the GA-Z77-UDH because it's a newer board.

When I replaced the card first (and just had the new motherboard), it worked... sometimes. If I had more than one monitor or if the case was closed , it wouldn't boot. I would then have to turn everything off, clear the CMOS, then it worked. I could also plug in an additional display after the computer was on. ><

When I replaced the motherboard, I've had nothing but endless reboots. When I get home from work in an hour or so, I can do a bit more testing (with other video cards, etc.)
Could I just have gotten ANOTHER bad part? What is going on? D':
m
l
Related resources
!