Need Advice: CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2138

jennifermj

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
I will start off by saying that I have very limited knowledge regarding upgrading/ building a pc or the related terminology. So please, don't hesitate to break it down to me like I am a 5 yr old!

My 16 yr old son has been wanting a gaming pc for some time now. We have five children so funds can be a bit limited at times, especially with everyone's Christmas lists!

Anyway, I purchased the CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2138 for him for Christmas knowing it was not a top of the line model, I could not build one from scratch due to lack of experience, but hoping it would get him a start and let him gain some experience with upgrading components himself. Reading some of the reviews I can see that I will definitely be needing to purchase a few upgrades for him.

If anyone could look at the specs on this pc and give advice as to what would need to be upgraded and some suggestions as to what to replace the components with I would greatly appreciate it. I have heard bad things about the PSU so I am pretty sure that will be the first thing that needs to be swapped out. I know he will be playing on Steam, BF3, Skyrim etc. I am hoping to avoid some of the problems many have experienced. Sorry for my ignorance and thanks again!

General Spec

Processor: AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz

Processor Main Features: 64 bit Eight-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor: 8MB L2 Cache

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333

Hard Drive: 1TB SATAII 7200RPM

Optical Drive 1: 24x DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB

Audio: Sound card - Integrated

Ethernet: Gigabit Ethernet

Power Supply: 700W

Operating System: Windows 8

Special Features: AZZA EOS 204 Gaming Case

Chipset: AMD 760G

CPU Type: AMD FX-Series

CPU Speed: FX-8120(3.1GHz)

L2 Cache Per CPU: 8MB

L3 Cache Per CPU: 8MB

CPU Socket Type: AM3+

CPU Main Features: 64 bit Eight-Core Processor

GPU/VPU Type: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB

Memory Capacity: 8GB DDR3

Memory Speed: DDR3 1333

Memory Spec: 4GB x 2

Memory Slot (Total): 2

Memory Slot (Available): 0

Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB

HDD Capacity: 1TB

HDD Interface: SATA II

HDD RPM: 7200rpm

HDD Spec: 1 x 1TB

Optical Drive Type: DVD±RW

Optical Drive Spec: 24x DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

LAN Speed: 10/100/1000Mbps

Front USB: 2 x USB 2.0

Back Panel Ports
PS/2

Video Ports: 1 VGA, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI

Rear USB: 6 x USB 2.0

RJ45: 1 port

Expansion:
PCI Slots (Available/Total)
1x PCI-e 16x ( No Available )
1x PCI ( Available )
1x PCI-e 1x (Available )

m3incorp999

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi, let me start off by saying that you will probably receive a lot of replies telling you what you should have bought. Disregard those, as they will have forgotten to look at your financial situation. Your son is going to love the PC you got for him. Out of the box it will handle most games that he throws at it on moderate to low settings. This is based on the games you listed.

A couple of very important things that people often forget:

A good fast Internet connection. If not hard wired via Ethernet, then a good wireless card. TP Link makes a really good card in both PCIe and PCI that you can find on Amazon for $23-40. Make sure you have a good wireless N router.. Many to choose from. Try to use a DOCSIS 3.0 standard modem, either provider by your Internet provider or you purchase for around $60 or so. (I always buy my own, as they pay for themselves in 6 months). WITHOUT the above, you can have the fastest CPU and GPU (video card) and games are sure to still lag.

Next the Power Supply will need to be upgraded. Mind you, it will run the computer fine with what's installed for some period of time. Try to get a brand like Antec, Thermatake, Corsair and plenty of other good ones. They run from $40 to whatever you are willing to pay. ( Buy a good quality between 500-750 watts)

Once your son starts playing games that demand a little more, then it's time to upgrade the GPU. This is when you will be glad you upgraded the CPU first. Based on the other components in the computer and financial situation, I would suggest an AMD 7770 or its Nvidia counterpart which sells for $115-170 on Amazon and Newegg.

The motherboard in the computer is already at its maximum with the installed components, so more RAM etc can't be added.

Hope this helps.