Upgrading NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i cheaply for 1080p

ChaosStar

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hi there. I kind of need some advice on graphics cards. I'm currently running a decent setup for what I mostly use it for, namely video playback and internets browsing, but I have trouble with 1080p video playback in anything but windows media player (and even then with significant slowdown). CoreAVC, media player classic, CCCP, I know all the works when it comes to codecs. Its just a bit too heavy for my crappy onboard graphics card and mediocre CPU (not even dual core) to handle properly. I was hoping I could maybe get a really low end graphics card and stick it in the open card slot currently sitting around in my pooter and have enough of a little push to allow decent video playback, as well as maybe have a card that adds an HDMI slot to the back so I can connect it to my HDTV directly. I game on my ps3/360, so card upgrades for gaming purposes have always been unnecessary for me. Specs follow as thus:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Now to ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: Very Low. I already have a decent computer with plenty of ram, etc for my needs, just need a little bump in the video area. Consequently, I'd like to pay as little as possible. I saw some cards in the $30-$50 range while browsing newegg, so anything in that range or lower would be great.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD Video Playback. I can currently handle 720p fine but not 1080. Also some anime with karaoke subs and h264 encoded in that vile Hi10P gives me trouble so playback's the most important feature I need. I would also like an hdmi port on the card so I can hook with my hdtv. I currently stream lots from my PC to my hdtv via ps3/360 on LAN and would really like access to my PC's significantly better set of codecs for playing video files instead of having to transcode or reencode every last mkv.

CURRENT GPU: Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i
Total available graphics memory 1407 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1151 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better (I'll add here I think its running DX11)

Power Supply: Delta Electronics Inc
Model: DPS-250AB-22E

output 250w max

probably this one: http://www.ascendtech.us/dps-250ab-22-e-250watt-power-supply_i_cspddps250ab22e.aspx

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Manufacturer eMachines
Model ET1831

Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB DDR2 RAM

System type Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 1

CPU: Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.20GHz

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com is preferable, but would be willing to use another site that accepts paypal.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever is cheapest to do the job for which I be needin' it for.

OVERCLOCKING: Nope CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently sitting at 1280x1024

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't know much about cards. I can barely install RAM on my own. I'm not completely tech illiterate, however. I just never mess with the hardware end of things much. I know there's an empty slot in there that looks like a card should go in it, and simply figured putting one there would alleviate some of my playback troubles. Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS