Sign in with
Your question

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed windows vist

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 9:48:43 AM

Hello,
am having problems with my Dell vostro 410 running vista. System wasn't allowing me to log on in normal mode. Start up screen has intermittent dollar signs everywhere while booting. I was told that one HD had bad sectors. I scanned and fixed this. Eventually after backing up everything i reinstalled everything to Factory Settings. Everything workinf fine for a few minutes and it started crashing again, logs off , restarts and i get above message. System is 4 years old.
NVIDIA Gforce 8800 GT is graphics card

More about : attempt reset display driver recover timeout failed windows vist

a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:03:39 PM

ok try booting up in safe mode with networking
go to your control panel, add / remove nvidia drivers from programs installed
after this dont restart yet and go to nvidia's webside, search for the newest drivers. instal drivers and reboot
hopefuly that helps
October 3, 2012 1:37:09 PM

Thanks Alvine - appreciate prompt reply!

Did what you said and everything working for the mo. Do you know if there is some kind of stress test i can run on my card to see if its working ok?

One more Q. If i have problems again and i uninstall my graphics card - this means that on restart it will run on the graphics card on the motherboard - right?? At least i will know then that it definitely is the graphics card that is the problem.

Is it normal for graphic cards to become faulty?
October 3, 2012 2:19:16 PM

Crash again. Was on a webpage and the mouse stopped responding. 30 secs later. Screen blackened. I had to power off machine with power button. However i was able to log on as a user. As logon screen loaded , for a second the graphics were broken and pixelated

Had a look at the event viewer for time of crash

The entry <C:\USERS\KATU\APPDATA\LOCAL\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\UDYS2W5L.DEFAULT\CACHE\4\82> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)

and

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WMI
[ Guid] {1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}
[ EventSourceName] WinMgmt

- EventID 10

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-10-03T13:57:49.000Z

EventRecordID 768

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer katuxa-PC

Security

- EventData

//./root/CIMV2
SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003

Don't know if any of this makes sense
Related resources
!