Sign in with
Your question

Should I risk buying an OEM version of Windows 7?

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2012 2:51:37 PM

I really need help here. Im going to be making my PC but yesterday I found out that the OEM Windows 7 would not work on a new motherboard, so I was kind of stuck. I knew that I couldn't wait 3/4 years to upgrade my motherboard when hopefully a new windows would come out because the sockets change every so often and I fear that they are to change in the next year or so. The only way I wouldnt upgrade my mobo is if I bought a expensive LGA 1155 motherboard and just upgraded my cpu, but then I could be missing out on other CPUs. I don't want to buy windows more than once so is it worth it to risk buying the OEM version and hope that microsoft will let me get a new product key when I change my motherboard?
November 25, 2012 2:57:18 PM

Huh? Why not. Just buy Windows 8.

There's no reason for anyone to buy Windows 7 anymore unless it's a whole lot cheaper than 8 which shouldn't be the case.

Back to your original question, the OEM should not have any problems when you change your mobo since other forum posters just call MICROSOFT and tell them that they changed their motherboards and would request to be able to use OEM on their new mobo.

TL;DR - It will work fine. Just need to call Microsoft if planning to change motherboard.
November 25, 2012 2:58:14 PM

LGA 1155 mobo are not expensive especially right now when its black friday/cyber monday deals going on. You could try brands such as Asrock, Gigabyte, Asus, they should have mobos less than $100 that will work for you (especially Asrock). And the price of mobos depend on the features that you would like with it too.

Also, I've heard that if you bind Win7 with your mobo and the mobo breaks, you could call Microsoft and they might help you bind it to the new mobo, again, that's what I heard, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Yeah...or Win8, but what I said about reliable and cheap mobo still stands.

But do get a reliable brand that will last you and future proof.
Related resources
November 25, 2012 3:06:57 PM

So just get OEM then, I guess I wont be changing the mobo that much anyway.

Are these reliable brands:
MSI
Gigabyte
Asus
?
November 25, 2012 3:27:31 PM

Anyway, here is my build so far with windows 8.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/pp9N
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/pp9N/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/pp9N/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 64bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM6150 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
Total: £560(With Delivery)

Does this look good for a budget PC?
November 25, 2012 3:42:10 PM

That looks pretty nice. Are you sure you can't spring for an i3-3220 instead?
November 25, 2012 4:06:28 PM

Afraid not. This is the most I can afford for now, id love to get the 3220, but im really tight here, with this CPU I cant even run my ram at 1600mhz I think, I am playing at 1920 x 1080, so could i shave £20 off my gpu by getting a 1gb version, then downgrading my case to get another £10 and downgrading the motherboard for another £10 which would enable me to get the i3 3220. Would this be a better option or should I just get this pentium, then when I have the money go straight to an i5. I mean, my birthday is in April, so if its really dragging my computer back I could get just get an i5.

This is all being bought about 25/12/12 - 30/12/12

EDIT: Alternatively I could go for a XFX Double D HD 6870 for £120
November 25, 2012 4:08:52 PM

Actually, if you plan on upgrading the CPU in the future then just stick with the Pentium.

It's actually decent for gaming. The i3 only leads by a few points when it comes to gaming so yeah.

Don't worry. :) 
November 25, 2012 4:17:37 PM

Yea, will the pentium be good for gaming and having skype open at the same time as I use it to communicate to people instead of generic voice chat in-game. In April though, i have plans to :

Get a SSD
Better CPU(Maybe, not sure)
Extra little features(more fans etc)

EDIT: Will the memory work fine if its running at 1333mhz instead of 1600 because the CPU cant support 1600.
November 25, 2012 4:36:39 PM

There won't be that much of a difference
November 25, 2012 5:11:45 PM

Good to know. Thanks everyone for the help
!