I really need help here. Im going to be making my PC but yesterday I found out that the OEM Windows 7 would not work on a new motherboard, so I was kind of stuck. I knew that I couldn't wait 3/4 years to upgrade my motherboard when hopefully a new windows would come out because the sockets change every so often and I fear that they are to change in the next year or so. The only way I wouldnt upgrade my mobo is if I bought a expensive LGA 1155 motherboard and just upgraded my cpu, but then I could be missing out on other CPUs. I don't want to buy windows more than once so is it worth it to risk buying the OEM version and hope that microsoft will let me get a new product key when I change my motherboard?
There's no reason for anyone to buy Windows 7 anymore unless it's a whole lot cheaper than 8 which shouldn't be the case.
Back to your original question, the OEM should not have any problems when you change your mobo since other forum posters just call MICROSOFT and tell them that they changed their motherboards and would request to be able to use OEM on their new mobo.
TL;DR - It will work fine. Just need to call Microsoft if planning to change motherboard.
LGA 1155 mobo are not expensive especially right now when its black friday/cyber monday deals going on. You could try brands such as Asrock, Gigabyte, Asus, they should have mobos less than $100 that will work for you (especially Asrock). And the price of mobos depend on the features that you would like with it too.
Also, I've heard that if you bind Win7 with your mobo and the mobo breaks, you could call Microsoft and they might help you bind it to the new mobo, again, that's what I heard, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.
Edit: Yeah...or Win8, but what I said about reliable and cheap mobo still stands.
But do get a reliable brand that will last you and future proof.
Afraid not. This is the most I can afford for now, id love to get the 3220, but im really tight here, with this CPU I cant even run my ram at 1600mhz I think, I am playing at 1920 x 1080, so could i shave £20 off my gpu by getting a 1gb version, then downgrading my case to get another £10 and downgrading the motherboard for another £10 which would enable me to get the i3 3220. Would this be a better option or should I just get this pentium, then when I have the money go straight to an i5. I mean, my birthday is in April, so if its really dragging my computer back I could get just get an i5.
This is all being bought about 25/12/12 - 30/12/12
EDIT: Alternatively I could go for a XFX Double D HD 6870 for £120