Help with pc upgrade

G

Hi, ive been able to play games such as bf3 with 50-60 fps in low or 40-50 in medium, ive recently downloaded planetside 2 and i get around 20 frame when in combat in the lowest settings(1920x1080) ive heard this is because the game is very cpu heavy. My current rig is Intel core 2 quad q8300 @2.50, 4gb ddr2, asrock G31M-VS2 (pci 1.0, i know this limits the GPU's performance) motherboard, palit 550 ti sonic GPU. And a very good power supply.

I can eiver upgrade motherboard, cpu, ram (probably i7, 8gb ram) or get a high end GPU like the gtx 670, i will ventually have all of these coponent but i cant afford them all at the same time, i dont want to settle for average components like the GPU!

What upgrade would give me the most boost in performance and FPS before i can get all of these components(looking to run games in ultra maybe high wth 50 plus frames with all the components) Thankyou very much :)

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Personally I would want to change the motherboard, CPU & RAM first, because I wouldn't wanna add other components and then take out the motherboard, put in a new one, and add everything all over again. If you don't mind that though, you could do them in whatever order.

You have kinda a catch-22 where it's hard to upgrade just one thing and get a huge performance boost because your other components will probably bottleneck the system. Ex: If you just added a 670, the CPU would be bottlenecking it.

Instead of going for a i-7 and GTX 670, I would just go for upgrading to i5-2500k if that makes it so you can budget to get everything at once. You really won't need a i7 for gaming.

nebulashadow

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Yeah, unless you are using it for other software, such as video editing, designing, etc. You would be perfectly fine with an i5 quad-core. You can get a good i5 quad core for about $230 on newegg. Also, for the gpu, you could save a bit of money and go with the MSI 660ti PE card, which is what I have. In most tests, it gets about as good benchmarks as the 670, but for a bit cheaper. You could get 8 gigs of RAM, a good motherboard, the 660ti, and the i-5 quad core for about $700, before rebates. Just upgrade whatever you want first, but I personally would upgrade the graphics card. Good luck!

Thedefuzer1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Ok thanks alot guys this was really usefull, an i5 should be fine i sometimes edit suff but it's not to important. Nebulashadow what settings do you play games on? and how many fps do you get in general? Im tempted to get the MSI 660ti aslong as the graphics look really nice ^^. What motherboard would you recommend based on performance? im also from the UK so components are more expensive :mad:.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I have a gigabyte GTX 660 Ti, for FPS like COD I get around 60 FPS on max settings. It's around $280 on Amazon right now, comes out to around $260 after rebates.

nebulashadow

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Sorry to get back to you so much later. I have recently been playing games like Borderlands 2, and Skyrim with a whole lot of mods. I can max out both completely fine, and pretty much constantly get 60fps, and I would get higher if I didn't have Vsync enabled. I do however, only have it at 1360x768 resolution, because the 37 inch TV in my room that I use for my primary monitor doesn't support 1080p. I have tried it in my living room though on 1080 and it performed perfectly fine and looked beautiful. I would go with the MSI 660TI PE. It is the card I got, and I chose that model because of the overclock abilities, the cool temperature of the card, the benchmarks that I have seen were generally highest for this version of the 660TI, and it has a really cool design. It has 2 fans, and small blue LEDs. As for motherboard, just go with one that has the specs you are looking for. Look on amazon, newegg, Tiger Direct, or whatever other site you prefer, and look for one that meets your needs, budget, and has good reviews. Make sure that it has SLI and Crossfire capabilities if you ever intend on running 2 cards at once, and that it has the correct chipset for your processor. Good luck! I hope your build turns out amazing.