Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for a new GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 2, 2012 12:27:32 PM

Hey there!

I'm looking for a new GPU for my system. Currently I have ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB, haven't overclocked it.

My budget is around $320

Specs:

MoBo: GA-P55-USB3
CPU: core i5-760 2,8 GHz
PSU: BeQuiet 550W
RAM: 2x4GB 1333 MHz
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B
Case: Fractal Design R3 Titanium

Usage: World of Warcraft, Battlefield 3, League of Legends and HD videos obviously.
Resolution when gaming: 1920x1080
Amount of monitors: 2
Overclocking: Maybe (I have never done it and never really given it any thought)
Crossfire / SLI: No
Other: Needs to fit into my care and preferably better than stock cooling :D 

Thanks in advance!

More about : gpu

a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:34:29 PM

i would suggest a msi R7950 or sapphire 7950 but with those cards i think that they will bottleneck your cpu

EDIT:and you psu size is kinda small for those cards
October 2, 2012 12:39:28 PM

devilofdeaths said:
i would suggest a msi R7950 or sapphire 7950 but with those cards i think that they will bottleneck your cpu

EDIT:and you psu size is kinda small for those cards

Well damn, I was not looking forward to buying new PSU or new mobo+CPU. :??: 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 12:46:45 PM

inffy said:
Well damn, I was not looking forward to buying new PSU or new mobo+CPU. :??: 

ya sorry about that you can usually get an i3-2130 for ~$130 and a z77 motherboard for ~$100
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 2:42:49 PM

msi 7950 power edition is a very good choice
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 2:46:41 PM

mohit9206 said:
msi 7950 power edition is a very good choice

1.his psu can't handle it
2.it will be bottlenecked with his cpu
October 2, 2012 3:08:07 PM

Don't make me laugh devilofdeaths. A 550w is enough.

http://images.tweaktown.com/content/4/7/4783_42_amd_rad...

About bottlenecking, at stock 2.8ghz you might get alittle bottlenecking, nothing serious tho, just overclock your cpu alittle and you'll be good to go!



As for brands, I recommend XFX, MSI, ASUS, SAPPHIRE, GIGABYTE.
Tho the best coolers (quite and cool) are probobly Sapphire's Vapor-X, Msi's Twinfrozr, and Asus' Direct CU II.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By the way, these cards (7950) can reach about 40% higher speeds when overclocked! The most overclock friendly cards :) 

Hope I helped you.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 3:18:35 PM

co0ldown said:
Don't make me laugh devilofdeaths. A 550w is enough.

http://images.tweaktown.com/content/4/7/4783_42_amd_rad...

About bottlenecking, at stock 2.8ghz you might get alittle bottlenecking, nothing serious tho, just overclock your cpu alittle and you'll be good to go!



As for brands, I recommend XFX, MSI, ASUS, SAPPHIRE, GIGABYTE.
Tho the best coolers (quite and cool) are probobly Sapphire's Vapor-X, Msi's Twinfrozr, and Asus' Direct CU II.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By the way, these cards (7950) can reach about 40% higher speeds when overclocked! The most overclock friendly cards :) 

Hope I helped you.

we don't know how old the psu is he has a i5-760 for god's sake psu's degrade over time so instead of putting out 550w or power it could only be putting out 510w which will make that psu be overused and lose even more life
October 2, 2012 3:54:02 PM

Thanks alot co0ldown, that helped.

Unfortunately none of the GPUs you linked are available at that price where I live (I live in Finland) Purchasing from Germany could be an option tho.
!